+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Kid walking on table in restaurant

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/1.../?ocid=todayfb

What are your initial thoughts?

Second thoughts once you have had a chance to think about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Completely unacceptable behaviour from everyone involved:
    - children's behaviour- self explanatory
    - couple for filming and posting online
    - parents for not supervising and controlling appropriate behaviour
    -management for not stepping in to get the parents to sort the kids out.

While I don't agree with filming the kids and posting online, it doesn't fit with what I would call 'bullying'

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2016),Missabubble  (05-11-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (05-11-2016),Purple Poppy  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @bel2466 has summed up my thoughts.

The children were not behaving appropriately and this should have been addressed by the parents. If they chose to ignore it, the restaurant staff should have intervened.

The couple who filmed and posted it online are in the wrong. If they were dissatisfied with their dining experience they should have taken it up with the restaurant's management. Instead they chose to publicly humiliate the family. Not cool.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never accept that behaviour from my children!
    Whether it was a sensitive conversation or not, doesn't mean that you stop being a parent. I bet if that child had fallen and hurt herself while climbing those tables, it would be the owner of the restaurant's fault. Can't control your children, don't take them out to restaurants! I don't agree with the people filming either however I think the parents should have been asked to leave. Also don't think it's classed as bullying.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

1CrazyMoose  (05-11-2016),AngelicHobgoblin  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly, I don't know if restaurant is what I would call it, but I guess if Maccas is defined as a restaurant then that diner would be. It looks like a pretty casual place, quite empty and I wouldn't freak out at my or other little kids standing on the seat or climbing into an adjacent empty booth. I would definitely not be expecting the sort of behaviour as I would in a "real" restaurant.

But on tables? No. No. No.

What if the staff had been in the kitchen when that happened and they sat the next person at what was assumed to be a clean table?

As for filming it and putting it onto facebook, I don't think this was appropriate. I would have pointed it out to the staff, if they didn't ask the parents to watch their child then I would let my money speak my disapproval and not return (eg. I wouldn't eat somewhere where they think feet on tables is OK.)

Is it bullying though to put it on facebook? No. We go through this every day with the kids, bullying is repeated behaviour over a period of time. Not a one off. I expect that it could have triggered some bullying behaviour though. I would think the only thing she could sue for is publishing images of her kids without permission?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It actually scares me quite a lot that people can film your child and put in online for 1000's (or more) people to see. I think it's absolutely unacceptable to film kids in public like that and then post the footage.

The climbing on tables, if that was my child (and he is hyper and might try to do something like that) I'd stop him straight away as its behaviour I wouldn't tolerate. I do have a very outgoing, adventurous kid so I have to constantly monitor his behaviour in public. I think the parents should have stepped in and stopped them, especially as its a safety issue for the restaurant staff.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 05-11-2016 at 14:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @VicPark - love your threads.

I have a few thoughts similar to the above. I do not like that someone filmed children and put it online rather than speaking to the parents or restaurant manager. Or even having a word to the children.

I would be so appalled and embarrassed if that was DS. And would apologise profusely. Walking on/over tables/booths are a no no. He does stand on them but that is it.

It isn't bullying IMO. But again, I do not like that children can be filmed like that and put on the internet.

I wonder whether the restaurant was worried about the reaction from the parents if the children were stopped or if they were asked to leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Both in the wrong.

The parents sound selfish and lazy. I think we've all been there while we chat to someone, take our eye off our child for 2 secs and they are in to something. But that was 30 secs of climbing all over tables. And the girl looked around 3, old enough to reason with. I feel like an old person saying this... but while I practice AP/gentle parenting, we still have boundaries, discipline and teach manners and empathy. There seems to be this new breed of parenting well beyond AP where anything less than just allowing them to do what they want Lord of the Flies style is stiffling their 'identity'. Read: parents adopt lazy parenting strategies then try to pass it off as to the benefit of the child.

Then of course the filming couple are in the wrong too. There was bad parenting at play, but they should have simply informed staff, pointed to the kids and let them deal with it. The fault lies with the parents, not the kids, but they are shaming the kids (what if the kids find that vid or it resurfaces down the track?).
    Last edited by delirium; 05-11-2016 at 17:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Filming children and posting the video online. NO! Absolutely shameful.

So is letting your children "run wild" in a diner, restaurant, cafe or anywhere other than a playground and even then, children should always be supervised. I can understand taking your eyes off your child for a minute, but the couple were filming for 20 minutes.. How could they not hear and see the children doing this?

And for the staff of the diner to stand by idly and let this happen. Wow, seriously poor form. I don't blame people for leaving them bad reviews.

Everyone in this story is in the wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews

Initial thoughts- the parents (or maybe mum and partner?) are bogans. I still think that.

And the other couple - meh. Filming some bogan's children running amok and posting it online is hardly front page news these days. There are heaps of videos out there, hence shows like tosh.O.
    I suspect the mother is complaining to get publicity/money.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 05-11-2016 at 17:42.