+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cats shed so much hair. We have a domestic short hair and our house is covered in cat hair! But hairless cats are ugly lol. I know poodles and poodle mixes are low allergenic and don't shed much. Maybe a miniature or toy poodle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Burmese cats are incredibly friendly and good with kids. They're often called the "dogs" of the cat world as they are quite chilled and love being indoors.
    Do they shed a lot of hair. I might have to look into breeds of cats that don't shed much.
    Thanks ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have two high energy breed dogs (2 year old Labrador and 3 year old Lab x Kelpie), and they don't get walked every day.

They do play zoomies in the garden together every day, so they always get a run.

Days that they don't have a walk they have some one-on-one activity time. This may involve teaching them a new trick (they each know maybe 40 or so tricks), practising tricks they already know, figuring out a puzzle, or learning and completing an obstacle course in the garden. We find that mental stimulation tires them out much more than a walk.

They haven't been destructive since they were puppies (which, in honesty I think is just normal puppy behaviour), and on the very rare occasion that they bark, even THEY look surprised that they've managed to make that noise

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    Cats shed so much hair. We have a domestic short hair and our house is covered in cat hair! But hairless cats are ugly lol. I know poodles and poodle mixes are low allergenic and don't shed much. Maybe a miniature or toy poodle?

Silly question, by if we're out and the dog needs to go toilet, I assume we need a doggy door? If so, dirty paw prints back in the house will annoy me!! Lol

Maybe a cat is more suited ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dogs live outside only so we don't have a doggy door (and our cat is indoor only so no door for him either!) but most of my friends who do let the dogs in the house put them outside when they go out. Some have doggy doors and some don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Our dog is always inside when we are home except she is outside at night. We don't have a doggy door.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We crate trained our dog but I'm bit lazy now as DD likes to sleep with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dog doesn't get walked everyday. Only a few times a week, if that. We do often take her to the dog park down the road and go through the obstacle course with her, otherwise we usually just play with her in the backyard, or go swimming.
    DF parents live on acreage so we go there once a week and she comes for a big run around.
    She's a bit hypo and I'm too nervous to walk her by myself (especially being 36 weeks pregnant), and have a huge fear of another dog attacking her.

She comes inside when we are home. Sleeps inside, but wakes me if she needs to go out to the toilet (usually once a night, and she even waits until I'm getting up to go to the toilet anyway). She is outside when we aren't home.

However none of these things stopped her barking or digging. She just likes to dig and she barks like a mad man if she can hear someone at the front of our house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our dogs are completely housetrained, and they choose to spend 90% of their time in the house. They easily go overnight from 8pm to 6am without needing to go out to toilet, and during the day they ask to go out about every 4 or 5 hours (unless DH and I are outside, in which case that's where they want to be too ).

If neither of us are home for a whole day (which is rare), they will hold it for up to 9 hours until we get back to let them out again. We always keep them inside when we are out, because theft for dog fighting rings is high in our area. Also, they prefer being indoors with the cat

Ours are fairly large dogs though, I'm not sure if smaller dogs may need to go more often.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a chihuahua cross and my partner has a purebred dingo. They ask for toilet every few hours, dingo has a run in the yard as she has no recall and runs away gee have no side fence) and little one goes to pee then comes back in. If you want to adopt, find a medium/low energy dog. Little dogs are good but sometimes snippy with kids, a nice medium bitzer is generally a good choice for a family dog if that's what you're after. When you buy from a shelter/pound they have all had extensive behaviour tests so you can have a chat to them and get one perfectly suited to your needs