+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The question for those that own a dog

Do you walk your dog/s every day?

I'm looking to adopt a dog and most of the ads recommend that you walk them daily.
    Even when I Look up reviews about certain breeds it recommends to walk daily as well.

So maybe adopting a dog isn't a good idea :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a 4 year old Labrador, as far as the breed goes she's pretty chilled out, but if we don't walk her most days she starts destroying the garden.
    If we can't get out to walk her we try to at least spend 30 min in the backyard throwing the ball to tire her out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not everyday. But he does get some stimulation every day...a wrestle and play if nothing more. We have a lazy dog though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would look at adopting an older dog maybe that doesn't need as much exercise

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rtaylor For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two dogs are also good as they can entertain and wear each other out. Lots of rescues have pairs that need to be rehomed together.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jast For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We walk ours twice a day. Dogs are active animals so do need that time but are so worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That is part of the responsibility of owning a dog. If they don't get walked they will often bark and possibly dig or chew things.

I adopted a dog in March. She's a greyhound x with mastiff or some other large breed. She is huge. I walk her every Sunday-Thursday night 5km. I don't walk with her Fridays or Saturdays but we will take her out to the dog parks for a run around and play.

I had an older dog that was put down in May and she hadn't been out for ages as she was too old and sick.

If you want a dog but don't want to walk them then I suggest adopting an older dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would look at an older dog if you don't have the time to walk the dog most days. I walk our dog to school drop off every morning and sometimes pick up in the afternoons. On Saturdays we'll take her to the beach for a run, she's currently down there with DH and our girls right now whilst I enjoy some quiet time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you owned a dog before? Depending on the breed, most dogs need a walk every day. You don't always need to make it a long walk, even a 15 min brisk walk in the morning will do.

Little dogs don't always need daily walking but dogs that don't get semi regular walks are more prone to chewing up stuff, diggin etc. in one way i actually find it to be a good thing as it gets you/the kids out for a walk almost every day and it doesn't need to be long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was having trouble posting last night so to add to my last post...our dog gets a walk min 3 times a week (on a really bad week). We also have a neighbour with a dog and when we're super busy we get the neighbour's dog over for a play date.
    Our dog is also allowed indoors as he pleases. If we're home, he's with us.
    Look at the type of dog, and definitely get an older dog. Ours isn't destructive or noisy when he doesn't get walked (very unusual for his breed, but we adopted him as an adult and had a good run down of his personality when we adopted him), but if he hasn't been for a walk for a couple of days he has an extra spring in his step on the walk because he's so happy to be out and about. We definitely aim for a walk every day, but shift work can make it tricky, and now it's too hot to walk in the middle of the day.