+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

i can empathise. Its just myself, my husband and DD for xmas. It is lonely and I wish we had family to visit or come over. My DD is 5yrs old and to her its all about the presents at this stage. I hope when we get to our forever location, where we want to buy a home i may be able to have an adopted grandparent or two to share our xmas days and other special days with.

Have you heard about adopt a grandparent? Its in its infancy, but they can give you a package to hand out to try to attract potential grandparents in your area.

It hasn't been successful in our area but hopefully when we get to our forever home then I will try again.

mysticfalls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was just looking on google and found an advent tree that has a new family activity each day instead of a chocolate.
    Perhaps an activity like this (when your dd is older) will make a nice family tradition and keep the excitment of christmas for you?
    I think I might try it this year

I do understand where you are coming from though. While it is nice to sometimes just be with your own immediate family. It is lovely to have cousins and others around and watching your children play. It makes me sad my kids will never really get this

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

faithandhopellove  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hi.

I totally understand. I'm an only child and Christmas has always been a time where I've missed having a bigger family

I actually work in the non profit sector and my organisation has a volunteering opportunity. The problem is my LO is too small to attend this time. Definitely something on my radar for when she's older!
    I'd love to hear how it can be done well. We aren't wealthy, but are fortunate in many ways and I'm conscious of not dragging DS out to "look at the poor people. Let's make a token effort here, pat ourselves on the back and go back to our privileged life feeling smug". The people on the receiving end deserve better. I guess finding the right organisation to help out at would be a good start

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, I understand where you're coming from. We've moved up to QLD this year. Our family is all in NSW. My dad's dad has melanoma, so family will all be down at their place this year. My mum's brother has terminal cancer (he's actually just started deteriorating rapidly), so her family will all be around to support my grandparents. My FIL has to work Christmas, so they are moving Christmas day, and DH can't get time off and I am going to be 32 weeks pregnant so flying really could be an issue amyway. These are the places we normally spend Christmas day - with family, with our big traditions. I am upset for DS not being able to join in with his cousins on the first year he can appreciate it. I'm also upset for me and DH.

We've decided to start our own traditions. I'm buying and making decorations so that we have more than just the tree. Our house never really felt terribly festive, because we were always away for christmas, so I want to rectify that. We'll put all the decorations up as a family, likely on 27 November, since DH will be working on 1 December. We'll have an advent calendar - he's too young to understand what it's about, but I am sure he will love the little treats! I want to find the Christmas lights and take DS out one night even though we never go out at night (DS is a shocking sleeper). We'll make Christmas crafts. We'll make shortbread and I'm thinking about doing home made caramels, and rocky road. I'm planning on doing a Christmas Eve box as PP have suggested. We'll put out reindeer food and cookies and milk for Santa. I'm going to do all the food prep christmas eve for a cold lunch (that's part of our traditon anyway). We always dress up a little more nicely than usual, and DS wears a christmas outfit. We'll get up Christmas morning, put on the Christmas music and have a fruit platter for breakfast. DS isn't old enough to wait food for presents yet 😂. Then we'll do presents, followed by calls to family. I'm planning on setting a fancy table with the silver and crystal (no, DS doesn't get the fancy stuff, but I will get him a melamine plastic set to use especially for Christmas day), putting out nibblies for is to pick at all day, and playing with DS with nothing else to do (I realise that this means I have to be super organised in the couple of days before Christmas so that I don't feel the urge to clean and tidy). DS will have a nap, and we'll have lunch at 2 (because he sleeps from 12 til around 2). DH's work colleague is coming over - he's from the UK and literally everyone else from DH's work is heading back to their families (out of town) for Christmas. Couldn't leave the poor guy alone. We'll eat, pull the crackers, wear the crowns and tell the corny jokes. DS will drag DH's work mate off to play and will tell DH and I to go away. Lunch will be a full spread that we would usually have... it will be a lot of food, but I don't care. It's Christmas and I want to celebrate. Leftovers are for the days that follow. We'll clean up and get out more nibblies, and just relax for the afternoon. We may even go to the beach.

I've thought long and hard about it, because I've always loved Christmas, and we have our little routines and traditons, and Christmas is about family and togetherness for us. It's special and exciting and I love it. I want DS to feel the magic too.

I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit more positive about it xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love it when it's just the 3 of us for Christmas! DD is 4 and it's just as exciting for her as any other kid I know

We have some little traditions, like leaving food out for Santa, but I can't wait to start more this year - this thread has given me some great ideas!

DP's family unfortunately have a Christmas breakfast, that there is no getting out of We'll go, but we certainly won't rush DD's present opening time. She does enjoy it though, as she's the only child there and gets spoilt rotten, plus the food is always pretty amazing .

After that's over, we are heading home and I'm not moving for the rest of the day! We've put the call out to all friends and family that we'll have a big lunch on the deck and everyone is welcome. I think most of my family are planning on coming. That way DD can play with her new toys all day, including the cubby house DP is building.

I'm sure it will be a great day for all of you OP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    I'd love to hear how it can be done well. We aren't wealthy, but are fortunate in many ways and I'm conscious of not dragging DS out to "look at the poor people. Let's make a token effort here, pat ourselves on the back and go back to our privileged life feeling smug". The people on the receiving end deserve better. I guess finding the right organisation to help out at would be a good start
    I'll PM You

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually had a Christmas alone one year. My family went interstate but as I had to work Christmas eve I couldn't go. I had a good friend leave her family lunch early to spend Christmas afternoon with me. A couple of other friends dropped over later and we had snacks and watched old christmas movies on tv. That actually started a tradition that lasted until we all started having kids. I still miss those days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We will be spending Christmas just the 3 of us, me DH and DD5 and have to say we love it that way. Our close family are overseas so thats not possible. Every year we get invited to spend it with an aunty and uncle and their family and we did for a few years. However we started hating the fact we had to follow someone elses traditions and DD obviously didn't get the same attention as my AandU's grandkids which I understand but I didn't want DD to feel second best. So for the last 3 years we have stayed home and love it. DD loves having all day to play with her toys that she has waited so long to open and we love the family time completely chilling and doing things at our pace. We spend most of the day in the pool and have a very relaxed early dinner.
    We have made our own little traditions now and I live that. The build up is always just as important with lots of carols in the parks, Christmas light trails and trip to the city to see santa.
    We usually spend boxing day with the extended family, it all works well for us. Hope you find some lovely traditions of your own it is hard to adjust at first.