+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting IVF / ICSI in Dec /Jan - any advice

Hi everyone,

i am starting IVF / ICSI in Dec /Jan and am hoping get some advice / tips.

long story short my partner and i have been trying to concieve for 4 years. finally went and got some test done and came back with his SA with 0 Morphology, which turned out why we weren't falling pregnant. Dr said basically we have no other option but IVF / ICSI. I am perfectly comfortable with doing this but i am just starting to feel a little stressed about it all. on top of that the Dr also said that my AMH is quite low for someone of my age (I'm 28, AMH sitting at 8.9). i know i should be thinking positive and all but some times i can't help but feel helpless.

any advice / tips of how i should prepare myself mentally and physically?

thank you xxx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to missyT For This Useful Post:

MrsBMum2be  (19-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Starting IVF / ICSI in Dec /Jan - any advice

My advice to you would be to not go in expecting to get pregnant first go. Some people do and you might be lucky, but often the first go round is a bit hit and miss, as the doctors can't predict exactly how you'll respond to a given protocol. So don't be discouraged if you need to have more than one cycle.

I'd also recommend waiting until January to start. Reason being that a stim cycle will make you hit the Medicare safety net right away (double check with Medicare that you are registered for it) and all subsequent medical costs for the rest of the year will attract a bigger rebate, which makes subsequent cycles (or OB costs if you're lucky!) much cheaper. If you hit it in December, it will reset on 1 Jan and you'll have to meet it again.

I'd also make sure you are 100% happy with your doctor and clinic before proceeding. Not all doctors and clinics are the same, and it's such a big cost to do IVF so if you have any doubts about your FS or clinic, do something about it before you start and see someone else.

In terms of the cycle itself, the needles can be a bit confronting at first but definitely doable when you weigh it up against the possible outcome. And tbh most of the needles are so fine you barely feel them. The only one that's a bit more ouchy is orgalutran, the ovulation suppressant. But I found icing the area before giving the needle helped with that.

I had to do ICSI as well and have a beautiful one year old girl (a stim and a FET, then a clinic change and another stim), I hope you get a good outcome too! All the best. It's such a crappy time having to do fertility treatment but so worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you Besha for taking the time to give me all that advice, i really appreciate it! i think we will be doing January. just trying to keep positive at this stage.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missyT View Post
    Hi everyone,

i am starting IVF / ICSI in Dec /Jan and am hoping get some advice / tips.

long story short my partner and i have been trying to concieve for 4 years. finally went and got some test done and came back with his SA with 0 Morphology, which turned out why we weren't falling pregnant. Dr said basically we have no other option but IVF / ICSI. I am perfectly comfortable with doing this but i am just starting to feel a little stressed about it all. on top of that the Dr also said that my AMH is quite low for someone of my age (I'm 28, AMH sitting at 8.9). i know i should be thinking positive and all but some times i can't help but feel helpless.

any advice / tips of how i should prepare myself mentally and physically?

thank you xxx
    Hi Missy T

We had same issue as you.

Genea me 37 hubby 38 first go got a little baby.

Second go..tried Primary IVF and now 42 hubby 43 it also worked.

Stay positive no alcohol and try eat better.

Which IVF will you be going with?

December OK too January ideal if you are both on holidays. I took nearly a month off both times and feel it gave me a better chance.

All the best..any questions just ask away.

Butterfly
    X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Butterfly,

thank you for your encouraging words. i live in Adelaide so we are going to a local clinic called Repromed. i did look into going to Genea and but just was unsure how i would handle it all being interstate. don't really have the option to take time of work unfortunately, we have our own business so thats not really something i think i will be able to do. not much of a drinker but i cut out all alcohol since last month and trying to keep my eating habits healthy. is there anything else you suggest?

thank you

missyT xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get blackmores conceive well tabs start taking that. Q10 for improved egg quality.

Be prepared to drop your daks a lot. Lol. It becomes second nature.

AMH of 8.6 is not too low to try. I'm older but have 1.1 and I'm cycling now. People have gotten take home babies at 1.1 and one lady I knew of had a fragmented embie put back and well 9months later a beautiful child came. So anything is possible.

Be prepared for blood tests and scans.

Have a good support network around you family or friends. Be prepared for some not to understand.

And the corker I have heard a million times. Oh I have a friend who did IVF and never got one then they stopped trying and have a baby. You will hear lots of those kinds of scenarios

Sorry I have to get ready for work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mysticfalls, apriciate all that advice. Been taking q10 for the past 4 months now amd I take elivit as well. Just trying to get my diet in tip top shape now and mentally prepare myself - that bit i think im finding the hardest. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are you going missyT??

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi MysticFalls,

doing well thank you. i have so much going on at work its keeping me busy, which is helping. thinking i might start acupuncture next week - heard great things about it and would be good to have some time out for myself. usually at work nov / dec is the busiest time so right up until Jan when i am booked in for i will be flat out, but i am trying to plan about 1 & 1/2 weeks off after i know the EPU date. fingers crossed i can organise that for myself. how are you going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice... be excited about the possible outcome. It is a hard process but so is waiting for so long to have a baby! Be prepared for some ups and downs (lots of downs) and also as said before wait until Jan and make sure you register for the safety net! I think you should go in with optimism but also be realistic. Good luck x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsh1984 For This Useful Post:

missyT  (21-11-2016)