+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Requesting class for my child at School?

My son started school this year (kindergarten in NSW primary). We love his School and he's made lots of friends this year. But there is a kid who I have grown to really dislike. He gives DS a hard time and just constantly won't leave him alone and what I would describe 'micromanaged' him beyond belief. I really don't want him and DS to be on the same class next year. Is it allowed to request the School to put them in separate classes next year or is it simply not allowed? Would I need to discuss with the principal and give specific examples of his troubling behaviour? I am happy to do this but wanted to ask here first.
    A lot of this behaviour I find very disturbing so I'm not simply being petty. It's been going on all year and I'm at the point that I'm over it. It's largely been outside of School which I can control to a point.
    Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should clarify, I did say above this behaviour occurs largely outside of School (and in the playground, after school etc). The reason I don't want them in the same class is that this kid really sucks up to the teachers so they really don't see his horrid side (he's incredibly manipulative for a 5 year-old!). But he teased DS when the teacher's back is turned (I've seen it more than once when helping in class). He keeps gets merit awards when in reality he doesn't deserve them! He comes out of School and waves them in DS's face while laughing at DS. It's just so mean, so I want a complete separation at this point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes you can. Our school sends out a letter each year asking what we want for our kids the next year. Next years letter came out last week and I've asked my DS to separated from the bully again and I got my way this year ending and will next year

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

deedee8  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, good to know. Should I write to the principal? Or speak to his teacher?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At our school you email the principal requesting which class and any people they want to stay with or separate and why. I cc the teacher in as well as they work with the principal to help choose classes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Schools are normally accommodating if they're aware of a problem. Have you made them aware of this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee8 View Post
    Thank you, good to know. Should I write to the principal? Or speak to his teacher?
    I'd put it in writing to the principle and in email form that way you know they receive it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Requesting class for my child at School?

In not sure if a 5 year old can really be that mean? Does waving a merit certificate really constitute meanness? As opposed to just being socially awkward or under developed.?

By all means put a request in writing. However if the issue hasn't been raised with them previously they might ask why, and they might prefer to try and implement various strategies first. If there is only trouble out of class then you may need to detail the impact it has on your child in class (as well as explaining what strategies you have already tried, such as empowering your child to say he doesn't want to do XYZ etc and why they aren't working).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You sure can. My son mimicks silly behaviour and had issues with a kid at the start of the school year. I contacted the principal and requested they noy be in the same class. ..only have a brief reason and it was accepted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely you can. I'm in the process of splitting my class for next year (going into Year 2) and my first job after splitting my kids who are not good together is to accomodate parent requests. We are generally more open when parents discuss the issues with us to split particular kids. We generally don't tend to adhere to requests to place certain children together unless there is a specific reason for doing so.