+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Salmon

Help! I have two skinless salmon fillets to cook for my kids. I have never cooked Salmon before. How do I cook it?
    Can you please share your basic cooking technique plus any other recipes to try with salmon? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    An easy way is wrap in foil with a knob of butter & splash of lemon juice and bake for about 20 mins depending how thick they are and how done you want them. I'm a terrible cook and this always works for me!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

moosey  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just copy MKR / Masterchef and brown in a frypan on both sides then finish off in the oven. I use this method for crispy skin salmon fillets. It would still work with skinless fillets, just watch they don't spend too long in the frypan else they could dry out a bit too much.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

moosey  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I just copy MKR / Masterchef and brown in a frypan on both sides then finish off in the oven. I use this method for crispy skin salmon fillets. It would still work with skinless fillets, just watch they don't spend too long in the frypan else they could dry out a bit too much.
    This is the easiest/nicest way i think - I heat butter and olive oil in a fry pan ( salt and pepper on fish) and then squeeze lemon juice over at the end

I have tons of salmon recipes but some easy ones:

Make kebabs ( brush sweet chili over then and BBQ or pan fry)
    Salmon Caesar salad
    Salmon tacos
    Roast salmon ( teriyaki and miso is great)
    Steamed salmon ( ginger and shallots)
    Stir fry salmon and veggies
    Honey salmon and rice
    Salmon burgers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baking in a bag with some marinade (honey soy works great but can use whatever you like) for about 12 mins at 180 is super easy too!

I've got a really nice and easy recipe from Chrissy Teigen's cookbook for a sweet chilli and mustard salmon. When I'm home later I'll share it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

moosey  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    This is the easiest/nicest way i think - I heat butter and olive oil in a fry pan ( salt and pepper on fish) and then squeeze lemon juice over at the end

I have tons of salmon recipes but some easy ones:

Make kebabs ( brush sweet chili over then and BBQ or pan fry)
    Salmon Caesar salad
    Salmon tacos
    Roast salmon ( teriyaki and miso is great)
    Steamed salmon ( ginger and shallots)
    Stir fry salmon and veggies
    Honey salmon and rice
    Salmon burgers
    Thanks Elijahs Mum, how often do you have salmon a week? Do you have other fish too? We don't eat fish at all but I really want to change that. We had the basic salmon tonight and we all really enjoyed it but I'd like to mix it up. Does your son enjoy eating it more than once a week?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, where do you buy it from? How much do expect to pay? I spent $13 on two fillets from Coles (280g altogether) I'm assuming I can do better elsewhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I prefer to go to a fishmonger rather than Coles, it's fresher and you can pick what size fillets to buy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Thanks Elijahs Mum, how often do you have salmon a week? Do you have other fish too? We don't eat fish at all but I really want to change that. We had the basic salmon tonight and we all really enjoyed it but I'd like to mix it up. Does your son enjoy eating it more than once a week?
    We have salmon 2 times a week plus white fish or crustaceans once a week ( I aim for 3-4 seafood dinners, 1 meat, 1 chicken and 1 vegetarian for DS) I don't eat meat or chicken so DS has been used to eating more seafood than meat! I can usually substitute any chicken recipe with salmon or use blue eye cod or barramundi as well - I'm lucky I have a great local fishmonger and we go to the fish markets a lot , I never buy seafood from supermarkets as you just can't rely on it being fresh and I much prefer to buy a whole fish and either get them to fillet it or I do it

try fish tacos - I always make it for my nieces and nephews and they love it , you can either use salmon ( just cut it into strips and fry in fry pan with a cumin, garlic and paprika and lemon juice marinade) or crumb some flathead tails ( Panko crumbs , pepper and lemon zest) and we just make guacamole, shred some lettuce, pickled red cabbage, cut up tomatoes ( or make a salsa) shredded cheese and we like the burrito wraps or use taco shells and every one can help construct their own ( I like chipotle mayo on mine or DS likes tartare sauce)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 02-11-2016 at 18:28.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (02-11-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Subbing. We don't eat enough seafood. I like making salmon or marinara pasta though.