+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question for those who had/planned for a water birth

Question for those who planned or had a water birth, did any of you go into hospital with the intention to have a water birth and decide mid labour that the water wasn't for you and you'd prefer to be outside the bath? Or did you just get in and out as you needed to?

I've read a bit lately about how a bath can slow labour down for some people and also trying to picture what position would work best for delivery in the bath. So far, all is looking good for me to be able to have a water birth - so will just come down to what happens on the day that might change this, so I just want to be sure I have a better idea of roughly what to expect. The midwife did explain that we can get out the bath whenever we want throughout the labour but that if you're out the water when the baby is crowning then you need to stay above the water for delivery.

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My hospital had the big deep birthing pools. I think my photos are on the computer or I'd attach it. I sort of leaned over the edge. I had to sort of scoot down further to make sure my whole perineum and vagina was underwater for when I started crowning. I was supposed to reach down and deliver him but I couldnt put my arms down because that was my focus and how I was keeping control so ky midwife grabbed him and passed him back up through my legs

It didnt slow down my labour, it was well established by the time I got to hospital though. I guess I more birthed in the pool rather than laboured in it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me!!
    I was adamant I was having a water bath with DS.
    My hospital had deep birthing pools and I imagined I would be so relaxed and labour and birth in there.
    Hell no!! I hated it. Two minutes after I got in I decided it was awful and I had to be out immediately. I didn't go back in even after encouragement from my midwife and DF.
    I did however love the shower and spent hours in there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (02-11-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I had a homebirth so slightly different. I planned for a water birth but wasn't sure I'd like it. It was amazing labouring in the pool! It was still hard etc but enabled me to relax a bit between contractions (my contractions were almost on top of each other). I got out of the pool a couple of times to sit on the toilet and in the end had to get out as the pushing stage was taking too long - ds was compound presentation with his arm over his head! The pool didn't slow down my labour but did make it more managable. Ds was born just under 4 hours after I first got in the pool.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question for those who had/planned for a water birth

Quote Originally Posted by MrsVZ View Post
    Question for those who planned or had a water birth, did any of you go into hospital with the intention to have a water birth and decide mid labour that the water wasn't for you and you'd prefer to be outside the bath? Or did you just get in and out as you needed to?

I've read a bit lately about how a bath can slow labour down for some people and also trying to picture what position would work best for delivery in the bath. So far, all is looking good for me to be able to have a water birth - so will just come down to what happens on the day that might change this, so I just want to be sure I have a better idea of roughly what to expect. The midwife did explain that we can get out the bath whenever we want throughout the labour but that if you're out the water when the baby is crowning then you need to stay above the water for delivery.

thanks!
    I didn't know that about the crowning! I wonder if this is a policy just at your hospital or everywhere?

I haven't had a water birth yet but will be aiming for one. I've read that if you want to birth in the water you should only get in once labour is well established, and you're around 8cm dilated, otherwise it can slow things down.

I've laboured in a bath with my first and it definitely was a slow labour, although that could have been due to lots of other reasons. I ended up birthing him on a bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I didn't know that about the crowning! I wonder if this is a policy just at your hospital or everywhere?

I haven't had a water birth yet but will be aiming for one. I've read that if you want to birth in the water you should only get in once labour is well established, and you're around 8cm dilated, otherwise it can slow things down.

I've laboured in a bath with my first and it definitely was a slow labour, although that could have been due to lots of other reasons. I ended up birthing him on a bed.
    i understood from our midwife that it is standard policy that you you can't go back under the water once baby is crowning because the barrier between amniotic fluid and water is already broken because the head is exposed - there needs to be complete water to water transition for safety.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kind of had the opposite in that the water helped my labour establish better. I had a posterior bub and as soon as i was in labour just wanted to get in the water. I felt terrible on land and hatred the shower and begged to get in the water at only 4cm (after contractions every 2 minutes for 5 hours). The midwife finally let me in when I said it was the pool or an epidural. As soon as I was in there I relaxed so much more and my labour started to progress a lot better. I really found "the zone" in the water and could let my body do is thing. I didn't end up with my water birth as my sons big head wouldn't fit but the 8 or so hours I spent in the pool are the best of my labour. I found it most comfortable to float on my back with my head on the edge of the pool but use a towel for passing if you do as I could hardly put my head on a pillow the next day from it taking all the pressure lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NicT For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had a water birth in August! This was my second birth. First one was on a bed holding my legs back. It was far easier on my whole body being in the water.

If you are having a water birth you keep your bottom submerged when crowning and deliver into the water. Baby doesn't take a breath until you lift it out of the water. Then you cannot put its head back under.

I spent time in the shower while they filled up the bath. I was only in there maybe 30 mins before I had Bub. I didn't get in and out and didn't need pain relief.

I definitely recommend it and I'm happy to answer specific questions.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (02-11-2016),witherwings  (02-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (02-11-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsVZ View Post
    i understood from our midwife that it is standard policy that you you can't go back under the water once baby is crowning because the barrier between amniotic fluid and water is already broken because the head is exposed - there needs to be complete water to water transition for safety.
    Yeah I think this is correct.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a waterbirth and couldn't recommend it highly enough! I was already 10cm by the time i got to hospital (!!!) so I just birthed her in there rather than labouring, i guess. Still, i cant recommend it highly enough. It was so good for pain relief and even crowning didn't hurt that much, it was more of a stinging. The ability to move around freely and easily change positions was so amazing. For some of it I was on all fours with my forearms propped on the seat/step under the water, but I delivered her whilst sitting leaning back on the seat with my elbows and forearms resting on it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitRose For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (02-11-2016)