+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What motivates you... to work?

To be truthful one motivating factor to work was my mother didn't.

Money was very tight, we really struggled financially and I just saw her watch a lot of tv and do her craft. She certainly didn't spend much time with us kids or cleaning the house- it was always a pigsty. I became increasingly resentful the older I got, as I saw my dad work his *** off for us and she didn't, and she was always whinging about money.

Not saying AT ALL all SAHM are lazy- but my mother was. It's important for me to be the polar opposite of my mum- loving, hands on, contributing to the household and a positive role model. Not just spending all day every day in my trackies on the lounge watching the midday show.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 03-11-2016 at 07:00.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (03-11-2016),yadot  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Money atm. I used to love going to work and working with the same people but one is off sick from an operation, the other I don't really talk to any more due to use just arguing all the time. Working nights isn't good for me currently but I have no choice. Only a few more years til my long service is available and I will be finding another job because I need a normal job with normal hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like having my own career, I like being able to contribute financially and i love my job. I don't love every aspect of it, but I do feel some days that I'm contributing to something bigger and something I believe in. I work in an environmental/conservation field and it's something that's been important to me since i was a kid. I'm very lucky too that I can now do whatever part time hours I want around kids. I like going to work, I rarely have days where I have to make myself go.

Having said that, I'm interested in many things and might consider retraining to be a speech therapist. I'd also like to do enviro law. Will just see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A few things:
    1. I like my job and get a sense of achievement out of it. It makes me feel good. Happy me = happy family.
    2. I don't want to be a one trick pony! Have you ever had a conversation with someone who only ever talk about their kids? As important as it is I still want my life to be more than just being a mum.
    3. Security. There was a news article about homelessness in middle aged women that made me want to cry. Life doesn't turn out like you think it will. Lots of women who with great intentions gave up their job to raise their family only to lose everything later. Your husband loses his job, or gets sick or you get divorced and then suddenly your looking for a job after being out of work for years. I am keeping one foot in the door. It's far easier to go from part time or casual to full time if you need to than trying to find a job after years of not working.

I hope that helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to faithandhopellove For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The money. If they didn't pay me, I wouldn't show up.
    I like getting out of the house, and seeing colleagues, customers etc etc. But if I won lotto, I'm sure I'd find ways to get out of the house that wasn't work!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-11-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a single thing other than the money. But knowing I will need to earn money until retirement for a comfortable life, experience & career progression are factors too. My job is rewarding though, I'm doing my bit for society at the same time and I like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I won't lie, money is my biggest motivator. But there have been times when I know I could get a lot more elsewhere yet I still stay. The things that motivate me:
    - my work is often super interesting, I get to solve tricky problems, provide solutions and do in-depth analysis and audits
    - there's a bit of mind-numbing admin which I'm really good at, it's easy and gives me a mental break from thinking
    - I get a lot of praise and recognition from my superiors, I feel like I'm highly respected and trusted in my organisation. I really thrive on praise.
    - my manager is a fantastic leader, I don't always agree with decisions she makes but I really respect her
    - my manager / company is really flexible, letting me work from home, take time off at short notice and changing my start and finish times when I need to - they make it easy for me to be employed and have a life
    - I work in HR so find out a lot of gossip as well as the management perspective; info I wouldn't know if I wasn't in this role obviously I never share these things but I love it for my own curiosity and nosiness haha
    - I'm not interested at all in being a SAHM, I didn't even really enjoy my 6 months parental leave and was in my element when I went back 3 days per week

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-11-2016),faithandhopellove  (03-11-2016),KitiK  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    - I'm not interested at all in being a SAHM, I didn't even really enjoy my 6 months parental leave and was in my element when I went back 3 days per week
    Love the honesty there.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faithandhopellove For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-11-2016),JR03  (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the change in routine and scenery. I work 3 days a week in the city. It's nice to sit down all day in an air conditioned building, chat to adults, relax, do some problem solving and reading, have lunch uninterrupted etc. It's nice to have that break for a few days and makes me miss my kids so that when i do see them again I'm more focused on being a happy positive fun type of mum.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    It's nice to have that break for a few days and makes me miss my kids so that when i do see them again I'm more focused on being a happy positive fun type of mum.
    This, very much this! It contributes to that balance we are all striving for. I'm a much happier and calmer mum when I work part time. Helps keep everything in perspective - work never gets too much, home never gets too much if I always have that break to look forward to.