+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She cannot take a 1 bed place. DHS would not approve of that with regard to her son's care.

OP, I realise this doesn't help in any tangible way but it seems like you are doing an amazing job working with the money you get. Budgeting skills are all well and good but you can only work with the resources you currently have and, let's face it, Centrelink benefits barely cover the poverty line.

As suggested by pp's though, a financial counsellor could really help liaise with creditors to get you on a do-able plan for repayment of loans.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (01-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, as ShannyAnny said, those Smith Family Scholarships are great. My nephew got one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (01-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh & because I'm often told I ignore suggestions given, I have joined the simple savers FB page to look through, so thanks for suggesting that @monnie24

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I suggest if you haven't already to start an excel spreadsheet.

Include any and all expenses that you can think of. I have a weekly, fortnightly, quarterly and yearly columns.

Anything that comes out fortnightly I calculate out to weekly/quarterly/yearly etc so I can see how it pans out for the year.

For our income I put it in the rows under all the expenses. It has DHs wage as it doesn't change. It has my wage that is variable depending on my hours. So I base it on the minimum hours I do and then have more rows underneath where I can add any extra income. The columns will subtract and add as you change those figures.

It will give you the best idea of what all scenarios equate to, how much money is left.

It can be quite confronting but it's truly worth it if you can do it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (31-10-2016),BornToBe  (01-11-2016),pointless1  (01-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory there is also a decent budgeting thing on the MoneySmart site (government site). It gives prompts so it's somewhere to start if you're not great at spreadsheets

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (01-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is there a nearby Vinnies/Salvos that can provide some food vouchers for you? It might help budget if you could get food covered a bit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (01-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    sent you a pm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re clothing and shoes etc...Have you looked on any of your local FB BSS pages? I see lots of free giveaways in my area...what sizes are you and your son? Some hubbers might be able to send you some pieces?! Good luck hun, your courage and tenacity is so inspiring. x

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Its Me For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (01-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the idea of the money smart site - their budgeting tool is much improved from last time I looked a couple of years ago & also the idea of using excel. I don't have excel atm but when I'm home with my computer will definitely look at dong something where I can both have my budget & track expenses decently.

The most you can get for food vouchers etc here is $30 every 6 months (reduced from $40 every 10 weeks last year). You can get hampers etc as well from Vinnies every 6 weeks which generally gives about $25 worth of staples (normally organise this every 3 months or so) but it is really fresh food I struggle to provide, particularly when at times being unable to leave the house for weeks on end plus not having a car atm so quite reliant on Coles/Woolies delivery - an obviously more expensive option than being able to shop around. There is nowhere within walking distance of home to get this stuff from.