+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are anyone else's kids really sick at the moment??

I feel like we've had a really rough run lately. I have a 1 and 3 year old and in the last 2 months we've had gastro, colds, one uti, and now the flu (and I got the flu despite being vaccinated, most likely because of a new strain going around). We seriously have had about 2 healthy days in the last 6 weeks.
    Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just the norm for 2 toddlers?? My kids aren't in childcare so I always was told oh at least your won't get sick all the time.. But I feel like we are!! Does anyone so anything to try to boost your kids immunity or general health?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My poor DS is quite sick at the moment with some sort of cold (and the horrid cough that accompanies it). Taking him to the doctor this afternoon as he seems to be getting gradually worse.

He normally only gets common cold type illnesses. I have him on Centrum kids (multivitamin liquid) daily as he doesn't have a very varied diet and needs the extra vitamins that he's not getting from his food.

He's at preschool 3 days a week and he does tend to pick up the odd cold there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    My poor DS is quite sick at the moment with some sort of cold (and the horrid cough that accompanies it). Taking him to the doctor this afternoon as he seems to be getting gradually worse.

He normally only gets common cold type illnesses. I have him on Centrum kids (multivitamin liquid) daily as he doesn't have a very varied diet and needs the extra vitamins that he's not getting from his food.

He's at preschool 3 days a week and he does tend to pick up the odd cold there.
    Sorry to hear about your ds. What is with the coughs at the moment?! My dd has had a cough for what feels like forever! I hope your Dr has some answers although I know most of these things are viral and just need to run their course.
    I might look into a multivitamin. My kids eat pretty well so I never worried about it in the past but I might try it. Or I was thinking a probiotic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Are anyone else's kids really sick at the moment??

Yeah I don't want to jinx it but we seem to coming out the other end now. since dd2 was about 3 weeks old both my girls (now 1 and almost 4) have been constantly sick, either one or the other or both, particularly dd2, and DH and I off and on. Only 1 bout of gastro, mostly colds and flu, or a cough. Dd2 until past month only had about 2 weeks snot free all up all her young life since she first got sick.
    It's been super draining, it's like we all keep passing it onto each other.
    DH has had to take so much sick leave, either for himself or to help with me or a sick kid.

Whereas dd1 only had 2 colds and no other illness until the age of two. She had never vomited ever. Dd1 started childcare (but only one day and I never send her when sick) and we go out a lot to where lots of other kids are, so I feel guilty about how sick dd2 has been.

But fingers crossed it's passing and and she'll have a super immune system.

I think it's normal with 2 little ones, trying to stop germs and have good infection control is almost impossible.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 01-11-2016 at 08:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd hate to think how many bottles of panadol and nurofen we've gone through. I'm worried the chemist thinks I'm drugging these kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've also had a horror few months with DD where she was constantly sick with colds and coughs. Her cough got so bad she'd had it for weeks and she was waking all night coughing (at its worst every 5-10 minutes). I had been to the gp 3 times to be fobbed off with oh it's just another cold. After I saw the gp the last time I contacted our paed who saw her the next day and said she had a chest infection and put her on antibiotics and steroids and bam the next day she was already heaps better he also said her spleen was enlarged from having so many infections and suggested we keep her out of childcare for a couple of weeks to recover.
    It settled down a bit after that but then a few weeks ago she got her first ear infection and last week she had conjunctivitis and then got gastro on the weekend. I've never been so sick as the past few months too. Am hoping next winter is better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine have picked up the odd cough and cold or 24 hr virus and temp but touch wood nothing more serious. I think the multivites and probiotics plus Armaforce I give them is really helping. My DD aged 1 recently started daycare and has picked up 2 minor colds but that's it. I was expecting it to be a lot worse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Sorry to hear about your ds. What is with the coughs at the moment?! My dd has had a cough for what feels like forever! I hope your Dr has some answers although I know most of these things are viral and just need to run their course.
    I might look into a multivitamin. My kids eat pretty well so I never worried about it in the past but I might try it. Or I was thinking a probiotic.
    Thanks The doctor believes it's just viral as you suggested. I just thought I'd better make sure there wasn't some sort of infection.

Doctor suggested we go back to using a bit of Ventolin/Flixotide to help with the cough, but DS is refusing to inhale it *sigh* I just want to see some improvement!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mambo, you're definitely not doing anything wrong, but unfortunately before the age of 10 and having a more developed immune system, kids seem to be on an endless run of sickness, especially when they're little. My dh and I say we have never been as sick as when we had kids!

We're battling a virus here, haven't been to the Doctor but I'm pretty sure with the symptoms, mega sore throat, glands up, lethargy and some vomiting from the kids that's what it is. It's so frustrating as it seems we just get over one thing and bam something else!

I give the kids probiotics or Yakult, but mostly just always make sure they're well hydrated and eating enough fruit and vegies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we've had the run from hell. ds started daycare end of August and it's been an onslaught of gastro, flu, coughs, snot, etc. dh and i both got the flu shot and we've never been sicker! dh brought a lot of the illnesses home from work so they spread around.

poor ds is only 8m and in the last few weeks has been on 3 rounds of antibiotics. I've lost count of the number of doctors visits we've had.

last week or so we've all been okayish. I'm good, dh is well and ds has a snotty nose and a bit of a cough. he's a bit off colour today so I'm just hoping it's not another bug.

it's definitely not just you OP, it seems to have been a horrific year for sicknesses. I'm just praying things improve with the warmer weather coming...