+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 2 week cruise with littlies

Background :
    Family of 4 ( 18 month old and 3 1/2 year old at time)
    We are looking at a getaway to Singapore. I just happen to see that a cruise leaves around the same time we are there and will arrive back in our home city.
    ( Singapore, Benoa, Bali, Komodo Island, Dili - Timor L'Este, Darwin, Yorkeys Knob, Cairns, Airlie Beach, Brisbane)
    We want atleast 2 weeks away

I can use Qantas points to get us over to Singapore but would need to pay coming back which will be about $1200 if we flew both legs.

The return cruise is just under 4k for all 4 of us but includes accommodation for 2 weeks and all meals. We also get $450 worth of on board credit to use at the bar.

Pros is we get to see a few extra cities ( even if just for a day), I don't have to have an active 18 month old on my lap for 8 hours and we get an extra 2 weeks of holidays. We can also do extra shopping in Singapore and bring it back lol ( which can include new toys for kids to play on ship)

Cons it's a cruise ship for 2 weeks with toddlers.
    It's 4k ( in reality if we stayed longer in Singapore though we would spend about 2.5k in flight home, good and accommodation)

So what would you do? Spend extra time in Singapore ( possibly even going somewhere else 1/2 way through ) and fligh both legs or look at cruise option on the return?

I should add we are looking at possibly Ttc #3 whilst away

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

rkcousins  (31-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely the cruise!

We've taken DD on a cruise at 6 months, 18 months, and 2.5. We were limited by what we could do while onboard because we didn't want to put her in kids club, but we love cruising. I would take that over an 8 hour flight, any day. We've taken her on 10 flights, and trying to keep her entertained and quiet for them, was stressful (and they were all domestic flights)

We have booked 2 cruises (back to back) for when DD will be 4.5 and belly bub will be 1. All up we'll be at sea for 18 nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We loved going on a cruise. DH and I took our 4 girls aged 2,4,5&7 at the time. My girls still talk about going on another cruise, they think it's the best holiday they've had and we holiday at least twice a year to all sorts of places.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (31-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cruising is so easy with little ones. Even if you don't want to put them in kids club you can go in there with them and use the facilities eg arts & craft. Staff are so helpful too. I've also cruised out of Singapore it was great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    That's the cruise I want to do. I say go ahead and cruise. Such a good cheap way to holiday as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have just returned from a 9 day cruise. Our youngest is 2. I wouldn't recommend that long.

We were travelling with others who had children as young as ours as well. We spent the 9 days chasing our little ones around and trying to stop them from going in the pool. It wasn't very relaxing, although we didn't think it would be based on personalities of the children. We all enjoyed the cruise but we will wait an extra few years before cruising again. The shore excursions were also a challenge with bub, stroller, beach bags etc.

Depending how 'active' your toddler is would depend on if it would be beneficial to book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been on two cruises with the girls and can't say I loved it. The first time was pretty stressful and there really wasn't much for them to do (they LOVED it though). The second time was a bit easier as we went in a big group and had a few more stops, which were fun. I wouldn't normally recommend it with kids but if you can avoid a flight home by doing it I think it would be worthwhile.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I love cruises. It is a fantastic way to have a holiday and we have been on about 8 or so (and are going again in January)

BUT

a - 2 weeks is a long time to be on a cruise with very young children

b - kids club dont take them that young, so its not super relaxing

c - the cabins are VERY small, so unless you are getting a balcony or above, its not so much fun spending much time in the cabin - which can be hard for day sleeps/rests etc

d - TTC whilst sharing a cabin wouldnt be likely

e - there are lots of sea days on those re positioning cruises - which means the facilities around the boat get quite crowded, and there sometimes isnt that much that you want to do with young kids

On the plus side - it can be great if your kids are happy and easy, there are lots of facilities on the boat, the food is usually good and is great for kids as the buffet caters for most tastes. Its super relaxing, and kids club/babysitting is readily available. Singapore accommodation is super expensive, so it may cost you that anyway.

If your kids were a bit older I would say definitely do the cruise .... but at 18 months and 3.5 ... I wouldnt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default 2 week cruise with littlies

I love cruising but wouldn't go with children so young. We went last year with 7, 5, 3 year old. We decided we would go again but when my youngest is 6. There were a lot of shore excursions we couldn't do as minimum age was 6. During the cruise, I had my birthday, we had new year and our wedding anniversary and the kids club took the kids for dinner and we were able to eat at the restaurant on our own and reconnect. My kids loved the kids club. They chose 1 session a day to go. Nearly 12 months on and my kids (even my youngest) ask when we can go again. I think at 18 months it just wouldn't be relaxing for anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 4 and I would love to take him on a cruise, I know he would absolutely love it.