+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Asthma - when to worry?

We spent last night in hospital with my nearly 3yo having what I assume you call an asthma attack? The hospital were great at educating me but the action plan given to me says "when he has a severe attack, go immediately to hospital".

What marks it as a severe attack? I felt what he has the other night was pretty severe (blue around mouth, very rapid breathing, signs of struggling for air between ribs and on neck, wheezing) but they managed it quite quickly in hospital...(one hour of 4x6 ventolin and 4x4 of some other inhaler, oxygen and prednisolone)

I'm terrified as I know asthma can actually be a deadly illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did they refer you to a dr or anything? Take home a script for ventolin/asmol? I don't have experience with my kids but I get mild asthma and it scares me too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

tootsiegirl  (31-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have much experience with severe asthma but I would go with any time you are concerned (like last night) and your child isn't improving with recommended dose of ventolin etc go to the hospital.

How scary for you both, I hope he is doing better today.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

tootsiegirl  (31-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Cheese View Post
    Did they refer you to a dr or anything? Take home a script for ventolin/asmol? I don't have experience with my kids but I get mild asthma and it scares me too.
    I brought home the asthma set from there which was the mask, spacer and ventolin but have those at home anyway. The only thing they asked was that I go there in weekends when my regular doctor isn't available as i assume they felt it had been mismanaged the last month by the bill billing guy I see on weekends...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's scary isn't it. My DS has gone to hospital a few times with breathing issues, once by ambulance. He's just over 2 and has had croup, bronchiolitis, and viral chest infections more times than I can count. His most recent trip to hospital was the first time he has responded to ventolin.

I always call my GP and get him seen if I'm worried. If he's really labouring I take him to the children's hospital. If he was blue around the mouth and trying so hard to breathe that he wasn't interested in anything else, I'd call an ambulance.

Maybe follow up with your GP so they can have another listen to his chest and talk through the plan again and what to look for. It's all quite scary and overwhelming so I think it helps to review again once you're out of the hospital and over the initial stress.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Asthma - when to worry?

It's so horrible having to take them to hospital isn't it? DD has episodes of Asthma with respiratory viruses & has been in hospital twice. I would advise to follow up with a good GP today if possible. Do you know what triggered the attack?
    Our Asthma plan is start Flixotide - preventer that needs to be used twice daily (takes a few days to kick in) at first sign of virus & continue until symptom free. We may need to use it every day or seasonally down the track.
    Use Ventolin 4-6 puffs through spacer as needed (if needed more than 3 hourly go to Dr or hospital).
    Redipred liquid once daily for a couple days in really severe cases. See GP if redipred needed.
    She's not 3 yet so we're waiting to see if it settles down or becomes a regular thing.
    The symptoms to watch out for are fast breathing, noisy breathing, coughing (mainly in bed). Danger signs are breathing rate over 60 breaths per minute, top of the tummy "dipping" on breathing (using tummy muscles to breath) - in either of these cases go straight to hospital.
    Maybe have a look at the Asthma Foundation website?
    Definitely pays to get yourself educated & work out the best way to manage things moving forward. Hope you get some rest today you must have had a long night!
    Last edited by rosey82; 31-10-2016 at 09:16. Reason: Sorry posted too soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rosey82 hit the nail on the head, if the child needs their ventolin more than 3rd hourly you need to take them to the GP, and they will likely refer you to the emergency department anyway. Whilst not considered severe at that point, it is the point where you can prevent the attack from worsening. Your doctor should make you an asthma action plan, these are very detailed but easily readable, straight-forward steps to take when your child is symptomatic. It tells you exactly what to do for the symptoms your child is presenting with.

All the best with your child's asthma journey, asthma can be very scary, but manageable is you follow the treatment regimes.