+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I agree with pp. If it closed it would have a massive effect on the other theme parks.
    I wonder how in the coming weeks the other parks will be affected.

It will take Dreamworld a very long time to gain the publics trust I think.

Disneyland have had many deaths since they opened. I wonder how they have continued to run and recover from these tragic events.
    A quick wiki search shows Disneyland hasn't had that many deaths across their entire parks. I think what's so shocking is that 4 people were killed in one accident which is massive. If the 2 girls hadn't been thrown then it would have been 6.

That's fairly unprecedented.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I heard on the radio this afternoon that it will be closed for at least a few weeks pending investigation by police, forensics etc. I feel so sad for the families

I've been to Dreamworld a few times, in 1990 and 1995. I remember riding that ride. While I totally get everyone's fear, and truth be told, my anxiety would mean I'm not sure I'd ever take my kids there. But to be fair to DreamWorld, then have been open since the 80's and had literally millions of safe riding experiences. You would have much more chance of being hurt in a car crash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Just on the driving analogy I get that and I am not an anxious person at all. But driving is a normal incident of every day life. Theme park rides aren't. It's the whole mixing doing such a happy thing with a tragedy that I'm finding hard. This was probably an amazing day for them which has turned ridiculously tragic. These types of events always shock me.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-10-2016),karavika  (26-10-2016),lilypily  (26-10-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I too am shocked to the core by this awful event. I grew up in Brisbane and now live on the Gold Coast so have had many, many wonderful times at Dreamworld. I remember going on that ride the year it opened.

I don't think Dreamworld will close. I will personally go there again. It's horrific and just so shocking, but I hope the park will again be the sought after travel destination it has been for so long eventually.

I can't even imagine what the families are going through. I drove past there twice today and just felt sick 😞.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just can't stop thinking about this. It's so very sad and just unbelievable. I can't stop thinking about the Mum who has now lost her son and daughter in one horrible moment. And the poor little boy who saw what happened to his mum The photos of all of them in the news coverage enjoying their lives pre tragedy is what gets me the most - they will never get to do that again because of a cruel twist of fate. I start crying every time I think about it.
    And speaking of news coverage pretty *****ed off with the Daily Tele which had photos of the white sheets on the front page of the paper including probable bloodstains. So unnecessary, imagine being a family or friend of one of the poor people looking at the paper and being confronted with that awful image.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My major issues is people attacking the QAS spokesperson because he was being crude or uncaring.

"injuries incompatible with life" is a widely used medical term. The injuries that this term describes are horrific and there is no nice way to describe them.

This poor ambo had probably seen one of the most horrific things he's ever seen and to attack him for using appropriate language as per QAS policy is disgusting.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (26-10-2016),Californication  (26-10-2016),gingermillie  (26-10-2016),M'LadyEm  (26-10-2016),nettz84  (26-10-2016),Olive Oil  (26-10-2016),Star Light  (26-10-2016),SuperGranny  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    A quick wiki search shows Disneyland hasn't had that many deaths across their entire parks. I think what's so shocking is that 4 people were killed in one accident which is massive. If the 2 girls hadn't been thrown then it would have been 6.

That's fairly unprecedented.
    I wasnt comparing the two. Mearly wondering on a financial scale how a place recovers from a tragedy and gains the public trust again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I just saw a headline on Facebook that someone stole the wallet and the phone of the husband as he frantically tried to save his wife. Some people deserve all the bad karma that comes their way and I hope that grubby thief gets it all.
    This was actually shoddy reporting I believe. QAS had the wallet and identifying items of all victims kept aside. Can't remember where I read that part though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    My major issues is people attacking the QAS spokesperson because he was being crude or uncaring.

"injuries incompatible with life" is a widely used medical term. The injuries that this term describes are horrific and there is no nice way to describe them.

This poor ambo had probably seen one of the most horrific things he's ever seen and to attack him for using appropriate language as per QAS policy is disgusting.
    That has driven me right up the wall. I had to stop reading because I was getting so angry at these people who clearly have no idea, attacking the poor guy. There are a few medical terminologies that "aren't nice" but it doesn't mean he has no heart for using them. He is a professional. Let him do his job. A job that none of these people could probably handle a single shift of.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-10-2016),mummymaybe  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    That has driven me right up the wall. I had to stop reading because I was getting so angry at these people who clearly have no idea, attacking the poor guy. There are a few medical terminologies that "aren't nice" but it doesn't mean he has no heart for using them. He is a professional. Let him do his job. A job that none of these people could probably handle a single shift of.
    Exactly. Would they prefer they used terms like decapitation or a graphic description of people being ripped apart?! **Not that I for one second am saying that this is what happened to these poor people**. Incompatible with life is quite a gentle term compared to the alternatives. It gets the message across without a graphic or distressing description.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (26-10-2016),mummymaybe  (27-10-2016),SuperGranny  (27-10-2016)