+ Reply to Thread
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Silent reflux? Colic? Whingy baby?

Hi all, DD is 2.5 weeks old and has been a pretty chilled out little thing so far.

The last couple of days though, she's been quite unsettled and I'm wondering if there's a reason beyond general newborn-ness. This is what happens:

- very unsettled between 6 and 9pm. Throughout the day she is generally amazing and just feeds and sleeps and when she is wakeful, is usually just relaxed although today she has been unsettled for a lot of the morning too.

- she feeds well, but when she's had enough she pulls off the breast and if I offer it again she cries. Sometimes I think she just wants to suck but doesn't want milk to come out, but she won't take a dummy. She sometimes had a look of repulsion when milk flows and she doesn't want it. I do have a fast let down so she does often splutter on it.

- she is not a vomiter (has the odd little posset but I don't need a spew cloth around me) but sometimes when she's not feeding she will swallow - wonder if she's swallowing back vomit that might be coming back?

- she's quite windy. She farts a lot as well as burping.

She is gaining weight well and at night once she falls asleep about 9, she will do 3-4 hour stretches and feed and go straight back to sleep.

Just not sure if I should keep on as we are going or look into it further. It's mostly the random swallowing that has me wondering!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The very unsettled 6-9 sounds like classic cluster feeding time especially if she then sleeps 3-4hrs after that.

The random swallowing bit- it is the baby still getting used to peristalsis. As they don't use their oesophagus till after birth, they need to get used to it. Like feeding/latching etc.

Tho Some babies like my dd2 have a lazy windpipe which means that the swallows and progression down the throat aren't always in concert. It's not a big deal and most kids grow out of that quickly.

Either way it sounds pretty normal and you seem to be doing great. Don't forget that the newborn sleepiness will start to wear off soon and bub may just be unsettled due to age.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    The very unsettled 6-9 sounds like classic cluster feeding time especially if she then sleeps 3-4hrs after that.

The random swallowing bit- it is the baby still getting used to peristalsis. As they don't use their oesophagus till after birth, they need to get used to it. Like feeding/latching etc.

Tho Some babies like my dd2 have a lazy windpipe which means that the swallows and progression down the throat aren't always in concert. It's not a big deal and most kids grow out of that quickly.

Either way it sounds pretty normal and you seem to be doing great. Don't forget that the newborn sleepiness will start to wear off soon and bub may just be unsettled due to age.

Thank you! Very reassuring xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely sounds like she wants to cluster feed from 6-9.

With DD, at 3 weeks old she started feeding heaps from 6-11 but would then sleep until 9am