+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorMama View Post
    We'd love that gingermillie!!! We dream of more land. It's a distant financial dream at the moment though. We wouldn't look at much bigger houses just land. I frequently do realestate dot com searches and just dream .

I wish I could quit FB. I'm really not on there much but can't seem to let it go. DH has never done social media and doesn't plan to - smart guy.

It helps when family are supportive, doesn't it? Our family support our goals (mostly) which is so helpful and we ask for no gifts for birthday parties for our kids and most people stick to that, which is great.

Do you find you clean less or more without carpet? Interesting!
    I definitely feel the house is easier to clean and feels cleaner with hard floors!
    My mum has the capacity to go overboard with gifts as she's obsessed with shopping which drives me nuts in itself. When DD was about 6 months old (she's 15 months now) my DH sat her down and said we appreciate the thought but if you keep buying her stuff we are going to give it back as she has too much as it is and mum was buying stuff we already had or wrong sizes etc so wouldn't get used. We set up a bank account for DD and DH gave her the details and said why don't you add to her account instead of buying useless crap she pretty much stopped and now puts $20 a week into DDs account instead which is awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Minimalism at home and in fridge

Hi Warrior mama. ..am glad you started this.

I am a minimalist and very organised. But I cull and spring clean twice a year. Re keeping your home minimal I donate cloths and toys to friends and charity and sell unwanted nick nacks and furniture on gum tree.

In my 20s I enjoyed buying things but now only by what I need. Wether you live in a 1 bedroom apartment of 5 bedroom house...I have less stuff now than I did in my apartment. It's very liberating to not have clutter great for positive energy and good for communication and your relationship. It also helps you achieve your goals.

Some tips. .

1. If you have lots of magazines get a few scrap books cut out what you love and recycle rest chuck or give to charity.

2. With cloths I go through wardrobe 2 times a year. ..try jackets and shirts as I found as you get older they become short..winter wardrobe is easier to cull.

3. Dresses. . We all want to keep our dresses as we feel we will loose weight...organize 2 boxes...one summer and one winter...store them away and revisit 2 times a year. Donate ones you no longer want if give to friends teenage daughters. Your cloths should have room to breath and display better if not too congested.

4. Don't keep too many nick nacks as they are dust collectors. It's much easier to clean a house which has less stuff and looks cleaner.

5. Children's art work...I keep a scrapbook of my daughters art work..good ones and cards. Toys...i try not to buy ..but we save money instead ...and buy dolls and educational toys were possible.

6. Food I buy a lot of canned food and frozen food as I hate waste eat better and much better for figure.

7. Set yourself 5 to 10 goals per year and aim to achieve them.

8. Ask yourself do I really need it...and look at your wardrobe or pantry before shopping so you only buy what you need.

9.Keep paperwork at a minimum in the house and do expenses once a month...keeps paperwork lean and house tidy. If you do expenses monthly you will be mindful of how much you spend.

If I think of any more will post.

Organised Butterfly
    X
    Last edited by Butterfly Baby; 22-10-2016 at 12:09.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butterfly Baby For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-10-2016),Yogis Mumma  (22-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the reply and chatter guys! I appreciate you all contributing!
    @A-Squared Haha! I know that eembarrassing 'ignoring the present' situation too well!

@TreeGirl Good questions! My brain is a little mushy today - so hope this turns out making sense!

I was probably the biggest instigator in our minimalist journey. Took hubby a long time to get on board fully. I never pushed him or pressured him. Never went through or culled his stuff.

Our journey started with me as a SAHM, a baby, hubby away 80% of the time (defence) and posted to a remote location where I felt completely isolated. I felt completely overwhelmed. It was this perpetual state of 'overwhelm' that got me looking at what I spent my days doing. In my case, we had a very organised house. I'd come up with great organisation ideas all the time and implement them but didn't really cull anything, so the overwhelm would just creep back in. I started by removing all the clutter that was bothering me (boxing up the stuff that belonged to DH) really helped to give me some 'breathing room' and I guess it's progressed from there.

I grew up very happy, but with very little. We were always encouraged to play outside (rain, hail or shine - appropriately attired) and use our imaginations. Hubby's childhood was very different. He was an only child (not by MIL's choice) and they were involved in leadership at a church and he spent a lot of time playing on his own. He was spoilt. When we started dating (we'd known each other for many yrs prior) he had his own 'wing' of the house they lived in - 2 bedrooms and a bathroom all to himself. Nothing "wrong" with that and his parents were wonderful but he remembers being lonely all the time. And overwhelmed with clutter.

Life choices, values and commitments are hard to work through as a partnership. We have certainly been challenged in this area with hubby's time in the Defence force (mostly completely uncontactable while away). He made the very honorable decision to discharge over a year ago - because his time away was putting a huge strain on our marriage and the emotional state of our children.

Love is definately a choice, more than a feeling. I think this connection with your other half can be 'strained' by having kids. We have been working really hard over the past year to move forward in this. We are lucky to be close to our parents, who support us by having our kids for a sleepover once a month. We are also having to make a conscious effort to have those date nights - even if they are just a board game and popcorn.

We have to 'schedule' time to talk about the important things and process them together. We also have to make time to set goals together - talk them through and make changes if needed and talk honestly about our feelings. If we didn't 'schedule' things we would both end up grumpy and dissatisfied, because those important conversations about choices, values and commitments wouldn't happen.

There is definately stuff we've had to negotiate on. I've needed to give up alot to support him career in the Defence. He loved that job and he decided to give that up for us after 9 years. That whole... "But I had to..." "But I did this" 'comparison game' creeps up alot on us and we have to make a conscious effort to stop and realise that we each do different things and value different things in our partnership. This has been harder for DH... perhaps because he started life as an only child? Can't fault him on his trying hard to work against this!

I guess I'm lucky that we have shared very similar values when it's come to parenting, marriage and life. So we certainly have had an easier base than others. Doesn't mean we haven't had to work at things constantly.

We are both Christian's and members of a local church. We have come to a shared feeling that if we live a more minimalist life, we can used what is left (time, resources) to bless others around us and to support our ageing family members.

Seeing the change in myself (and my state of 'overwhelm') and my kids living more minimalist, was what inspired hubby to come on board fully with us.

Does that even answer your questions? So sorry if I'm waaaaay off... please ask again!!

@AdornedWithCats
    It's hard with an OH that doesn't fully embrace what you are aiming to do. Stick in there though . My hubby took time but he's along with us for the journey now. Decluttering is certainly a journey and doesn't happen overnight - I've had to do some HARD work with sentimental stuff. I'm certainly understanding you there. Becoming minimalist, The Hands Free Revolution and The Purposeful Housewife have been great inspiration along the way. The Purposeful Housewife has some great posts about minimalism and families and decluttering with kids underfoot.

Nourshing Minimalism and Becoming Minimalist have some great blogs on getting family on board and simplicity when your OH doesn't get it.

@babybo1onboard Yes! I hate all the packaging these days too! We try to give experiences too. And at Christmas, our family all get stuff from AID catalogues - like chickens, goats, prothetic limbs, cataract surgeries, etc. The incentive to save their money sounds like a great idea!

@BornToBe I'm hearing you! I live with a chronic pain condition and family life has been pretty rocky the last few years. It certainly is a challenge. Baby steps is the key in our journey though. I used to go to Op shop heaps - I'm going less now!

@gingermillie I will go and look at that!! That's awesome! That's such a great solution you guys came up to with your mum.

@Butterfly Baby Some great ideas there. You're certainly on my wavelength! Magazines - we now just borrow from the library, it's great, cut down on spending and we can usually get what we want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorMama For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woah... that was long! Sorry!! You are all awesome though!

We're not so 'tight' that we don't get out and experience life though! We splurge here and there on experiences and outings as a family or dinners out. We just put and emphasis on cultivating relationships with others and our family unit.
    Last edited by WarriorMama; 22-10-2016 at 17:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes Warrior..re magazines I borrow from the library and dvds too. I only buy a magazine as a treat or when they give you a good freebie.

I find with decluttering and giving to others and charity..I go shopping and find things like 100 dresses for 10 dollars or amazing things..dresses for my daughter worth 100 for 10...it is just good karma and I find good luck follows you as do good friendships. That has been my experience so for that reason I try not to buy too much..also I believe once you get to your 40s your perspective on shopping changes and you crave less material things and more meaningful things or experiences.
    Last edited by Butterfly Baby; 22-10-2016 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Butterfly Baby everyone loves a good freebie! *wink*

Definately still 'crave' material things, even while striving to be more minimalist! Hard to fight against 'comparing to friends' at times! Have to bring myself up on that. I've just entered my 30s.. it'll be interesting to see how it goes as I get older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    20s is hard as you want everything..I got my first mortgage at 25 so if I spent the money I couldn't pay the mortgage. After 30 got better now i only buy if it's a good price and good quality. A good trick is to go shopping looking amazing in a lovely dress ..shoes and hand bag...I find if what I am trying on doesn't compare it turns me off the purchase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I highly recommend this book http://www.bookdepository.com/Enough...?ref=grid-view

Reading it gave me a huge reality check and started my somewhat minimalist thinking, but I'll never be at the point where we can sustain ourselves, but I definitely strive to have less.

I really want to buy this book for my parents and DHs parents, but they will probably find it rude and / or ignore the message.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! I borrowed this one from the library a while ago (I think) and didn't get to read it all! I will have to go reserve it again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Warrior Mama and Minimalist friends..I have been very good in the last week as been inspired by this thread.

In particular when shopping I have decided to buy what is necessary or useful.

I have also started to cull some of my daughters cloths that are too small. ..more for charity ...need to keep some as baby 2 on the way. I will embrace minimalism as I won't be working for 5 or 6 months and need to make each dollar go further.

I have recently modernized our home and replaced 4 curtain poles and 4 curtain sets.

I am selling 3 half length cream curtains and one full length curtain in midnight blue.

All in new condition. Wooden pole and set for $50 each...anyone interested please private message. Note retail for pole and set is over 200 each. Medium coloured wood real wood...poles sell for over 100 in stores.

We are in Sydney althought have access to property near Canberra.

Butterfly..I would attach a pic but tried and can't seem to do it.
    Last edited by Butterfly Baby; 28-10-2016 at 06:34.