+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I wish our families would listen when we say not so many toys! 1 present is enough, and doesn't have to be a toy! Just something they can open on the day and say 'thanks granny!' Give her a hug, make her feel good and she can go back to playing with family and ignoring the present! Haha

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @WarriorMama I am particularly interested in the path you and your husband took to come to the decision to go minimalist. Is it something you were both attracted to? Did you discuss it and make a conscious decision at one time or was it more a natural evolution? Was it based on some particular shared 'value' about the world, and, if so, did/do you discuss that?

I ask mainly because I am interested in how couples make these kind of significant value /life decisions, not specifically because I am interested in minimalism (Although I do think it's a very worthwhile approach to living). I am going through a bit of a rough time with me partner, and much of it at least from my perspective, relates to a real lack of communication about life choices and values and shared commitments.

Would love to hear more about your journey!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (22-10-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We're not quite minimalists but I did start following the Konmari method last year. I didn't have time to complete it though but hoping I will have time over summer.

I don't think I could be as minimalist as you (op) but do want to cut down on material possessions and live more simply. We definitely need to work on cutting down on screen time. It's hard when you're OH doesn't seem to understand how important it is to limit it, and that there are plenty of alternatives.

I find clutter very stressful so I'm aiming to reduce that. I find the house so much more peaceful when it's tidy and so much more joyful when we are interacting as a family rather than staring at screens.

So far what I've done is donate clothes i never wear, given away so many book and gotten a council pickup for hard rubbish for items we don't need. I've slowly been sorting things out that we never use and putting them in the garage until we have another hard waste pickup or until I have time to put them on gumtree. It's good to give everyone a box and tell them to spend maybe 30 minutes finding items they don't need or use. Decluttering is slow, trying to do it all at once is overwhelming.

Some items are very hard to part with!!

Any advice for getting other family members on board would be great. I find dh often wants to keep things he'll never use? when I ask why he doesn't really know.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-10-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorMama View Post
    It can be hard with our kids having generous great-grandparents and grandparents though!
    Omg tell me about it! On the one side so many op shop "goodies". On the other side so many brand new plastic stuff. I feel so bad getting rid of it that we tend to keep it all. I do put boxes of it away in the cupboard that I'm hoping to get rid of on a day I'm feeling strong!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last edited by Full House; 22-10-2016 at 04:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My efforts have been no where as dedicated as the OP but I was horrified when we moved house 18 months ago at the stuff we don't use and threw out. What a waste of money, and more importantly, so wasteful of resources and non-necessary environmental impact.
    Things that I've done since:
    1) buy e books instead of hard copy
    2) think we hard about something before I buy it - is it needed, is it perfect for us, would I be potentially throwing it out in 12 months? I'd prefer quality over quantity.
    3) how much packaging comes with a product. Is this an option with less packaging? (I hate non-necessary packaging)
    4) give unwanted stuff away to friends that would want it (I'm careful here, don't want to burden friends with my unwanted if they don't actually want it) or put on BSS pages
    5) buy stuff second hand where feasible
    6) give gifts that are experiences rather than material things

I haven't been very successful at changing the kids habits. DSS1&2 still spend their pocket money on plastic junk that breaks and ends up in the bin a week later. I'm working on it though. We are going on holiday in a few weeks and we told them for every $ they save beforehand we would give them a $ spending money.

I would like pet chickens but there are enough snakes in our area as it is, I don't want to give them any reason to prefer our yard over the rest of the neighbourhood.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to reply later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gingermillie, that's brilliant! I had no idea aquaponics was a thing. Am currently working toward buying a piece of land big enough to be as self sustainable as possible. I spent hours reading up on aquaponics last night.
    Am very tired at work now though. 😪

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (22-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We certainly see the value in slow living and growing our own food, though it's a real challenge when "real life" stuff like health issues, newborn babies/pregnancy, moving home, unexpected crisis hit. And our past year has been full of those. :lol

I look around me now and feel like there is crap everywhere, and not sure how attached I am to it, how much we need it. But then, could I get rid of all of my books? Do I want to? The vast majority of stuff we buy is second hand/op shop stuff but it can still be clutter, that's for sure.

Argh, I can feel a hit of nesting coming on....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Gingermillie, that's brilliant! I had no idea aquaponics was a thing. Am currently working toward buying a piece of land big enough to be as self sustainable as possible. I spent hours reading up on aquaponics last night.
    Am very tired at work now though.
    Look up Murray Hallam he's the absolute guru on aquaponics in Australia. He has some awesome videos you can watch.
    Our system is currently switched off as DH has been interstate for a few months but we ran it with goldfish! If you don't have the time/ skills for aquaponics then look up the wicking bed system. DH also built this last summer using massive plastic tubs and grew sooooo many capsicums and eggplants in just 2 tubs. Great easy system.