+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any other 'aspiring' minimalist mama's out there?

Hi there.

We've been on this journey about 4 years and we're finding much more peace and joy in our lives.

This is a some of our journey so far and the things we find helpful:

We live in a small house (family of 4), have minimal possessions, have capsule wardrobes, our 2x DS have minimal quality toys (mostly wooden, open-ended), we have chooks who supply our eggs and a good veggie patch, we eat the same basic, simple meals on a rotating plan each month and cook in bulk our lunches (and freeze) - same meal each day per week. We cycle through the same 3 breakfast options each week. We use cloth nappies, cloth pads, cloth 'paper towels'. We have minimal linen - 2 bed sheet sets per bed, 2 towels per person (my kids are colour coded). Mobile phones are kept in a drawer at home during the day, TV is off during the day (1- 2 times a week the kids watch a short movie with us or an episode of playschool), internet is used only during rest time or evenings (for me). I have deleted all the apps from my phone - including facebook and unsubscribed to any emails.

We're still 'culling' our stuff. My DH is a 'recovering hoarder' (he's from a long line of hoarders, lol). We've just finished another round and we starting to get close to a bit more harmony, peace and joy. I loosely follow the Konmari method - but a bit more ruthless in culling stuff.

Where are you on your journey?
    What helps you find 'peace' and joy in your household?
    How do you minimalise in your house?

Love to learn from others!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorMama For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You sound well on the way!

Yes I am absolutely trying to become minimalist, it's not easy but im trying really hard to get rid of top much "stuff" and free up our lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have actually started thinking about doing this. I feel like life would be more peaceful with less "stuff"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you Clementine!!

That's definitely what we're finding - its 'freeing'. We're consuming so much less too which is good all round!

It can be hard with our kids having generous great-grandparents and grandparents though!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarriorMama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-10-2016),AdornedWithCats  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Purple Poppy - It's hard work to clear the stuff, especially with small poppets under tow but we've found it SO worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    We will never be as sustainable as your lifestyle is, however I am slowly downsizing our things and next year will be downsizing our house. I've already prepared DD that we will be donating a lot of her toys to charity in preparation for the excess of (unwanted) toys the kids will be getting for Christmas this year.

I'm trying desperately to cull clothes but I'm hoping to lose enough weight to be able to fit into old clothes I haven't worn since having DS 2 years ago.

I love hearing tips and suggestions though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A-Squared - I think minimalism is a very personal thing, according to your own family and needs, location, etc. Many people have many different degrees of minimalism and not one is the 'right way'. I think that's part of what I like about it. You can tailor it to your family.

Exciting to have a move on the horizon! Good on you for slowly starting now - it'll make those boxes easier to unpack (we've moved 6 times in the last 8yrs - defence family).

I actually find my kids play heaps better with less... I worried so much that I would regret it!! No regrets yet.

Clothes are a hard one - especially when you're trying to lose weight!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarriorMama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-10-2016),AdornedWithCats  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We try but not always successful lol. We are looking to move to a bigger property to have more flexibility with self-sufficiency. It seems like a contradiction to upsize and spend more money but our current block isn't that conducive to what we want to do long term so we are looking for 1/2 acre to a few acres to develop over time. Things we've done so far include
    - chickens (on a hiatus at the minute)
    - aquaponics system for growing veggies, long-term plan is also eating fish grown in the system
    - I regularly cull in our house whether it's donating/selling/chucking things. I'm pretty ruthless.
    - try not to buy too much but balance that with not totally depriving myself!
    - 9/10 homemade lunches
    - 2 sheet sets per bed til they wear out lol
    - 3 sets of towels til they turn into cardboard then they're recycled into rags
    - I haven't had social media for 5 years except bubhub.
    - we removed all the carpet from our house and our whole house is now tiled. Feels minimalist to me!
    DD has too much stuff in my view but I sell/ donate as we go as we aren't having another child. And we strongly told my parents to stop buying her crap as we just don't want it in the house and they listened.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We'd love that gingermillie!!! We dream of more land. It's a distant financial dream at the moment though. We wouldn't look at much bigger houses just land. I frequently do realestate dot com searches and just dream .

I wish I could quit FB. I'm really not on there much but can't seem to let it go. DH has never done social media and doesn't plan to - smart guy.

It helps when family are supportive, doesn't it? Our family support our goals (mostly) which is so helpful and we ask for no gifts for birthday parties for our kids and most people stick to that, which is great.

Do you find you clean less or more without carpet? Interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a largish one bedroom apt with DD (6m/o) so naturally we are somewhat minimalist in our living - purely because we have to be... but there is much more we could cull to be honest. This thread might inspire me to simplify things again rather than jump on domain every week looking for bigger apartments!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-10-2016)