+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Where is your job offer? How old are his other 2 children?
    This is what I was going to ask. Could your DH stand to be away from his older kids a month at a time and you can all travel and live month on, month off, or would that be too cost prohibitive?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This is what I was going to ask. Could your DH stand to be away from his older kids a month at a time and you can all travel and live month on, month off, or would that be too cost prohibitive?
    He would be fine being away from his other two kids (8&10) month on month off (he is now anyway) but we can't all move to where my potential new job is as it's not really suited to a baby (and too dangerous IMO) and then DF wouldn't be able to retrain anyway because he wouldn't be in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If it were me I would look at both myself and hubby taking whatever job we could near our home. Then one or both work on retraining in slower time. Downsize the house if we needed to. Could not stand having a hubby away and absolutely could not stand being away from my child long term (so no way in heck I would take an overseas gig)
    I'd love to be able to live of less income. I just don't know how... I know people do it and it is possible. It would be a huge huge adjustment for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'd love to be able to live of less income. I just don't know how... I know people do it and it is possible. It would be a huge huge adjustment for us.
    At least you wouldn't have to leave Bub for an entire month 6 times a year.

Maybe as a side thread you could start a thread about how to live off less money.

I know @cheeeeesecake has some great tips for living off a low income.

I would start by thinking of downsizing your home or moving to another area (though it sounds like downsizing would be easier if you need to be near the x-DW.) meal planning, downgrading things like phone plans, Foxtel, Internet, trade down with your car. Meal planning can help save on food waste. There's a blog called frugal mum I think it is. It's American but she has great tips and menus for low cost food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest... I couldn't do it. And I wouldn't expect my fictional hubby to either. If he wanted to I would support it, but if he was sad about leaving he could find a job stacking shelves at woolies and we make the necessary sacrifices.

I'm not judging what you choose to do though if you decide to take it. Just saying I couldn't.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-10-2016),gingermillie  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take the job opportunity. If it's not going to come up again in the near future and your husband 100% supported you I'd give it a go.

I currently am employed in work where I am away from my family 3 weeks a month. My husband works and takes the main primary parent while I am away. My career requires the travel and while I miss my children like crazy when I am away I know it's not only right for our future but for me.

I've worked bloody hard to get to where I am and I will take what ever opportunity I can get. I am still involved in our family life even when away, I organise most of the behind the scenes finances and sorts, my children teachers email me fortnightly, we face time, we email, we make it work.

I'm a mother and a career person. My children don't suffer and they know mummy works hard. It's a team effort.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD - job

Thanks everyone. You've made me think more...

I'm going to tell DF to come up with an actual idea of what he wants to do in Australia and then we come up with an exit plan for him to come back home in the next 1-2 years and in the mean time save like crazy and maybe he can even start doing some training online. I might try to also increase to 4 days a week at my job here leading up to him quitting his.

The job for me wasn't really a step up in my career, I'd actual done a very similar job before (that's why they offered me this one) - it just pays well because it's in a dangerous sh$te hole

On a side note, does anyone know if you have to pay child support when you have no income because you've quit your job?
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 21-10-2016 at 21:39.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. You've made me think more...

I'm going to tell DF to come up with an actual idea of what he wants to do in Australia and then we come up with an exit plan for him to come back home in the next 1-2 years and in the mean time save like crazy and maybe he can even start doing some training online. I might try to also increase to 4 days a week at my job here leading up to him quitting his.

The job for me wasn't really a step up in my career, I'd actual done a very similar job before (that's why they offered me this one) - it just pays well because it's in a dangerous sh$te hole

On a side note, does anyone know if you have to pay child support when you have no income because you've quit your job?
    There is Facebook page simple savers too you could learn great advice there

I think you would still pay child support unless earning too much for any benefits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump - does anyone know if you still have to pay child support at the same rate if you quit your job to retrain? Ta!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump - does anyone know if you still have to pay child support at the same rate if you quit your job to retrain? Ta!
    I don't think so, because say your partner was single and had no income at all, where's he supposed to get the child support money from? I know my BILs child support payments only work off his income, not my sisters.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-10-2016)