+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD - job

Ok so a bit of a story here...

My DF works overseas and there are no jobs available for him in his field in Australia and there is unlikely to ever be any. He would like to re-train but not really sure what he wants to do.

My career can be done in Australia or overseas, but overseas work pays much better. I'm currently working part time in Australia and unable to realistically work full time as I have a horror commute (5 hr a day), can't get work nearby and can't move as we have 50/50 custody of DF's two other children and hence we live near their mother.

We have a 16 month old DD.

I have been offered a job overseas, it will pay well (enough to support all of us) and is one month on, one month off.

Do I take it so DF can quit his job, come home and retrain with the plan that once he has a more established career I also move back and we both work in Australia? Or do we keep going as we are...

I want DF to be able to have a career change so at a future time we can all live together but the thought of leaving DD for a month at a time breaks my heart. I know also that it breaks DF's heart leaving her when he goes away...

What to do?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Omg what a tough situation. Do you have to make any commitments to overseas, like can you just try for one month and see how you go?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Omg what a tough situation. Do you have to make any commitments to overseas, like can you just try for one month and see how you go?
    I could quit after a month but then DF and I will both be unemployed (!!) as we will have to quit our jobs to make the first month away for me possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could your df take 4 weeks annual leave, even unpaid or carers leave, you try it out for the first month, come home, then have a full and honest discussion about if it can work. Then one of you quits.. way I see it, you give it a red hot go, with nothing to lose!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-10-2016),JR03  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Could your df take 4 weeks annual leave, even unpaid or carers leave, you try it out for the first month, come home, then have a full and honest discussion about if it can work. Then one of you quits.. way I see it, you give it a red hot go, with nothing to lose!
    I wish... DF doesn't have annual leave at his job and can't take time off. I think I'd be breaking the terms of my contract to take up another job while on annual leave and also I would need my current employer to cancel my work visa so the new company to could get me a work visa. So just not feasible unfortunately

I could go away on holiday by myself for a month next time DF is home and see how I cope without DD. Hmmm... ideas....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    How long would it take your DF to retrain? What are his job prospects after he retrains? Once he gets a new job will that mean you can give up your job? What would you do then?

You don't have to answer this one, but I'm very intrigued as to what you both do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD - job

Last edited by babyno1onboard; 23-10-2016 at 07:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    In that case I probably wouldn't take the overseas job. I personally would want a bit more certainty on how long I would be doing it for and what DF would end up doing.

I know of some people who have been in your DFs line of work. Some have ended up back here as advisors to various government departments and other companies.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it were me I would look at both myself and hubby taking whatever job we could near our home. Then one or both work on retraining in slower time. Downsize the house if we needed to. Could not stand having a hubby away and absolutely could not stand being away from my child long term (so no way in heck I would take an overseas gig)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where is your job offer? How old are his other 2 children?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-10-2016)