+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The bathroom wouldn't worry me as I could change it down the track to suit my taste.

Has the real estate agent said anything about the quirky floorplan?

Reason I ask is because we had a house with a very unique floorplan that sat on the market for months. The REA advised that "non traditional" floorplans can turn buyers off.

In terms of what I look for when buying a house, I look at thing along the lines of - price, location, size of house (in terms of number of rooms esp bedrooms), layout, storage, block size, neighbourhood before I get down to what the house actually looks like and whether or not I can imagine myself living there.

ETA things like paint colour, state of the garden and obvious maintenance issues can affect how I feel about a house. I'm not a fan of bright feature walls and would prefer neutral colours. A nicely maintained garden and green grass can make a house feel much nicer. Obvious maintenance issues and signs of neglect can turn me off.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 20-10-2016 at 14:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    What were the prices of the houses sold compared to his? What is the RE agent like?
    The prices vary basing on the size of the houses. Which I guess is obvious haha I guess for the size of the house and block size it's ok I guess the price to me seems high for the things that are still needed.
    I've only met him once, he seems alright. There is a real estate agent in the town, he seems to be the go to guy but dad didn't go with him. He went with someone from another town, he is the original real estate agent who sold it to the previous owner but I'm starting to I think it may have been a mistake but then again I guess that's my opinion and I don't have any idea at all lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    The bathroom wouldn't worry me as I could change it down the track to suit my taste.

Has the real estate agent said anything about the quirky floorplan?

Reason I ask is because we had a house with a very unique floorplan that sat on the market for months. The REA advised that "non traditional" floorplans can turn buyers off.

In terms of what I look for when buying a house, I look at thing along the lines of - price, location, size of house (in terms of number of rooms esp bedrooms), layout, storage, block size, neighbourhood before I get down to what the house actually looks like and whether or not I can imagine myself living there.

ETA things like paint colour, state of the garden and obvious maintenance issues can affect how I feel about a house. I'm not a fan of bright feature walls and would prefer neutral colours. A nicely maintained garden and green grass can make a house feel much nicer. Obvious maintenance issues and signs of neglect can turn me off.
    Would the bathroom make you think twice about what price they were asking? Would u factor it in when buying it?

I'm not sure if he has mentioned it, I'd assume he has though.

Thank you, the house has next to no storage (we found this so annoying when we lived there!)

Would things down the track (bathroom, roof, maybe putting a garage in) count when thinking about price? I guess they would but I mean more as in like things you would do later on if u wanted. I hope I'm making sense lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    So here's the biggest one.. the house backs onto a railway line. I will admit u get used to it (we lived there for a couple of years) but it is right at the back fence.
    Also the carpet colour choice is um... well it's sh!t. I hated the colour. It is only a few years old though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It sounds like there are numerous issues but the real problem is the price. We aren't buying yet but are saving our deposit and if I found a house that was dated - carpet, fixtures, tacky bathroom and the price was right I would buy and reno gradually. That's surface stuff that can be fixed. But if the price is equal to another house that doesn't need 30 grand to update it.... I'm going to choose that other house.

Being on the railway line is a huge turn off too. I wouldn't buy that house no matter the price And the storage would be a huge issue for me too. That's one of the top 5 things I'm looking for. My 5 are: large 4 bedroom, large kitchen with lots of cupboards, lots of storage, a decent back yard and decent street.

He has to drop the price. And the RE obviously want it to go for as much as possible bc it means more commission. Some decent RE's realise if it's too high then no sale means no commission. But others will keep a seller on the books in the hope it will go for more than it's worth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default What sells a house?

I would get him to look into furniture hire it may not be as expensive as he thinks. Don't let them talk him into too many decorative items but beds in the bedroom and 2 bedsides, a 2 seater lounge and arm chairs in the living areas and a 6 seater table and chairs in the dining room.

Sounds like the walls are very neutral which is good.

You can get someone in to spray the bathroom (all white) and then update the tapware.

The kitchen you could get a stone overlay over the benchtop if the benchtop is a bit dated.

Spending $2000 on furniture hire and spraying the bathroom would be enough and could save him more months of mortgage payments due to the house not selling.

Also ensure you have the windows open for a few hours before the inspection and use air freshener, if it smells a bit unlived in it could put people off too.

PS don't always trust an agent to give a fair value for the house, they may have just told you higher in order to get the listing. Did he get any other valuations?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 20-10-2016 at 15:46.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What sells a house?

The railway line at the back would be a total turn off for me. As soon as I saw it/realised I wouldn't look no matter how wonderful the house.

So add in you think it is overpriced and it has some renovating to do and it seems reasonable to me it hasn't sold yet.

As pp have said I would definitely try to get him to put some furniture in.

The quirky floor plan shouldn't be to much of an issue if you show people how to use the space - furniture will do this. The last house we sold had an odd floor plan (due to renos and additions by previous owners) but we had it professionally styled and it looked great. It sold at the first open house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^ I think if you get at least 2/3 rooms furnished (lounge, kitchen/dining & bedroom) would be great
    You don't need to do the whole house

If house backs into railway line - make sure open house isn't when the train runs behind it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Would the bathroom make you think twice about what price they were asking? Would u factor it in when buying it?

I'm not sure if he has mentioned it, I'd assume he has though.

Thank you, the house has next to no storage (we found this so annoying when we lived there!)

Would things down the track (bathroom, roof, maybe putting a garage in) count when thinking about price? I guess they would but I mean more as in like things you would do later on if u wanted. I hope I'm making sense lol
    I would factor all those things into the price when buying.

From the sounds of what you have written, the big issues are backing onto the railway track and high price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have lived next to a rail line and it was fine, so that wouldn't automatically turn me off, but I'd only buy it if there was a 'wow' factor. That wow factor would either need to be that the house was so amazing I HAD to buy it (quirky floorplans are fine for me...I love unique houses), or the price was so great I was getting a bargain.
    To make the house 'wow' your dad needs to have it professionally furnished and maybe be prepared to do some extra things (could we see photos by any chance?) or he needs to drop the price.
    Also, a big turn off for me is a house that sits on the market for months. I automatically assume that there is something wrong with it and I wouldn't even bother looking at it.