+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What sells a house?

Looking for some tips/advice on what you believe sells a house..

My dad is selling his house (nsw) and it's been on the market only a few months but he was looking for a quick sale and expecting it would sell quickly. I personally think he's asking too much (has dropped the price already..) but I can't say that without getting my head bitten off.

What would turn you off a property and what's a big selling point? I understand this is so hard to say when you know nothing about this property but I'm just curious.

The house is located in a little country town, it's a historic town. The house itself is old but has been renovated (as such) it's had add ons that have been done (before my father bought it) and it's probably a bit quirky.

Do you believe a house having furniture can help sell a house or not really? It's currently not furnished.

Thanks for any question for this really basic question! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would personally have it furnished
    People need to visually see what a room is used for and picture themselves living in it

I'm attracted to a great kitchen and bathroom (yes cliche) but also a non cluttered home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You need the expert advice of @Elijahsmum I reckon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (20-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Price is a big selling point. You know what you want and usually have a budget to stick to. If he has done up his house "quirky" it's going to only attract a certain type of person, and therefore will not sell very quickly. To sell quickly, price needs to be within range (a real estate agent should have given an accurate price range) and wall colours need to be neutral. And minimal clutter/junk. ( we own 3 homes

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were looking to buy I didn't even bother looking at any houses outside of our price range so if it's priced too high then that's going to cut lots of potential buyers. Furnished is better than not so you can see how the room size actually works with furniture - I'm useless at spacial awareness so if it's empty I'm not interested. Neutral wall colours so you don't have to worry about redecorating everything straight away. Trimmed lawns, clean windows etc, uncluttered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevapa View Post
    I would personally have it furnished
    People need to visually see what a room is used for and picture themselves living in it

I'm attracted to a great kitchen and bathroom (yes cliche) but also a non cluttered home
    Thank you! I personally think furnished would be better but he doesn't think he has the money to do it.

The kitchen was redone a couple of years ago. It's not exactly what I'd want other than the cupboard layout (I picked what sort of cupboards they got lol)
    The bathroom would need a full Reno. It is ok but it's old and looks it. The tile colours are just yuck. Needs to be done up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What sells a house?

Quote Originally Posted by Reina83 View Post
    Price is a big selling point. You know what you want and usually have a budget to stick to. If he has done up his house "quirky" it's going to only attract a certain type of person, and therefore will not sell very quickly. To sell quickly, price needs to be within range (a real estate agent should have given an accurate price range) and wall colours need to be neutral. And minimal clutter/junk. ( we own 3 homes
    I should of worded it better. The 'quirky' is how I would describe the layout. It's not your usual layout. It's a big block though.
    The real estate did give him a price range and to my knowledge he has stuck to that but I think he's holding out hope for more than it's actually worth. If the house was perfect it could reach a good price but it's not perfect, there's a few bigger things that need to be done and I think they've forgotten that

The walls are a light grey (DF and I chose it when we lived there and painted lol) it was originally purple

Thanks
    Last edited by Hasselhoff; 20-10-2016 at 13:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    When we were looking to buy I didn't even bother looking at any houses outside of our price range so if it's priced too high then that's going to cut lots of potential buyers. Furnished is better than not so you can see how the room size actually works with furniture - I'm useless at spacial awareness so if it's empty I'm not interested. Neutral wall colours so you don't have to worry about redecorating everything straight away. Trimmed lawns, clean windows etc, uncluttered.
    There are only a handful of properties for sale in the town at any given time and other houses are selling and then there's his and it's still waiting. No offers at all. I do think people see the price and just turn away instantly.

I wish he would hear me out about furniture. He is having someone come regularly to do the lawns etc.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    You need the expert advice of @Elijahsmum I reckon
    I think this may just be a question for @Elijahsmum lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    What were the prices of the houses sold compared to his? What is the RE agent like?