+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Lengthening naps, but still want to continue feeds during the night

Please forgive me if this doesn't completely make sense. I'll try to explain as best I can.

My 6 month old was great with naps until about a week ago when then naps turned to cat naps at every nap and he was totally grumpy in between them. Before this he seemed okay if he cat napped 3-4 times a day..

So I've started making an extra effort to pat him back to sleep for his naps when he wakes after 45 mins. He doesn't always go back to sleep, so it's hit and miss, but I try for a good 30 mins and if it doesn't work I leave the room and come back after a couple of minutes to get him up and out of the cot.

When he wakes of a night, I absolutely treasure and love feeding him back to sleep. It's the time when the world seems quiet and we are the only ones awake and I don't want to have to stop feeding him back to sleep during the night.

Do you think that by keeping the night feeds and only patting back to sleep during the day will confuse him? Is it possible to have that inconsistency and still lengthen naps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Short answer yes.

I parent this way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I parent like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I parent like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by SookiLala View Post
    Do you think that by keeping the night feeds and only patting back to sleep during the day will confuse him? Is it possible to have that inconsistency and still lengthen naps?
    I don't think the differences between night and day approaches will matter that much as long as you remain consistent within those two areas.

It may be possible to lengthen naps by doing what your doing however if you wanted to really increase the chances I would look at:
    - cutting naps (2 for a 6 month old)
    - 2 hour+ wake time between naps
    - looking at solids (if not already)
    - looking at settling techniques. The best way to ensure bub doesn't wake between sleep cycles is to ensure the environment stays consistent. This is hard to do with things like patting/rocking/feeding to sleep. If you're not there to pat again just before bub stirs then it's game over red rover (or at least the workload increases !)

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @VicPark for all the info. That's really helpful

With my others I did the patting to lengthen naps and night sleeps. It seemed to work in that they slowly started automatically going back to sleep after the first sleep cycle without my help. It took a good couple of weeks. I remember a sleep consultant saying it was possible to lengthen naps by making sure the baby was in bed for naps for a period of time (ie 1.5 hours). So if they woke from the first sleep cycle, you pat back to sleep for up to 45 mins and then get them up after that if they haven't slept.

Ive tried keeping him awake for 2.5 - 3 hours buy generally he becomes so hyper it's impossible to get him to settle without wrapping him on me and bouncing or walking around for a good half an hour only to have him catnap again.

I'm finding the morning sleep really difficult. He wakes at 7, and it seems like he gets tired again at 8. I tried once to put him back to sleep and he slept quickly, but I had to get him up again for school drop off grr.

So basically the routine I'm trying to follow at the moment goes:

7/7.30am - wake and feed if he wants
    9.15am - feed and sleep
    10.45am - wake
    11.30am - lunch
    1.00pm - feed and sleep
    2.30pm - wake
    4.00 - snack with kids
    4.30pm - feed and sleep
    5.00pm - wake
    6.00pm - dinner
    7.00pm - feed and sleep

He wakes up to 6 times a night which I am happy to do for the moment. But I'm hoping by lengthening naps it will encourage him to sleep more at night too?

Thanks again. I really hope this works because it's something I am okay to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by SookiLala View Post
    Thanks @VicPark for all the info. That's really helpful

With my others I did the patting to lengthen naps and night sleeps. It seemed to work in that they slowly started automatically going back to sleep after the first sleep cycle without my help. It took a good couple of weeks. I remember a sleep consultant saying it was possible to lengthen naps by making sure the baby was in bed for naps for a period of time (ie 1.5 hours). So if they woke from the first sleep cycle, you pat back to sleep for up to 45 mins and then get them up after that if they haven't slept.

Ive tried keeping him awake for 2.5 - 3 hours buy generally he becomes so hyper it's impossible to get him to settle without wrapping him on me and bouncing or walking around for a good half an hour only to have him catnap again.

I'm finding the morning sleep really difficult. He wakes at 7, and it seems like he gets tired again at 8. I tried once to put him back to sleep and he slept quickly, but I had to get him up again for school drop off grr.

So basically the routine I'm trying to follow at the moment goes:

7/7.30am - wake and feed if he wants
    9.15am - feed and sleep
    10.45am - wake
    11.30am - lunch
    1.00pm - feed and sleep
    2.30pm - wake
    4.00 - snack with kids
    4.30pm - feed and sleep
    5.00pm - wake
    6.00pm - dinner
    7.00pm - feed and sleep

He wakes up to 6 times a night which I am happy to do for the moment. But I'm hoping by lengthening naps it will encourage him to sleep more at night too?

Thanks again. I really hope this works because it's something I am okay to do.
    You're right - 3 hours is far to long between day naps, no wonder your bub was acting hyper with a 3 hour gap. I think the 2 hr 15 gap you have with some naps is perfect. My only suggestions for your routine would be:
    - don't wake bub at 10:45, let bub sleep until 11.
    - don't wake bub at 2:30, let bub sleep until 3 or 3:30 (preferably no more than 4 hours tops per day).
    This way you can cut the 4:30 nap. At 6 months bub is a little old for a third nap, this could be affecting bubs sleeping at night (come 7pm not really tired enough to sleep solidly). If you feel bub won't make it to 7pm (most bubs can have a longer gap before the final night sleep) just put bub to bed early say 6:30pm.

If you are happy to pat your bub to sleep between cycles during the day and get up to bub 6 x times per night then that's ok. Just wanted to let you know there is no shame *if* it stated to bother you - that's a lot of waking for a 6 month old. *if* you did change your mind and want to reduce the catnapping/waking then just yell out, happy to help with ideas. From what you've mentioned it well within the realm of feasibility to tweak the settling technique to reducing the waking and parental intervention required (eg a modified form of the patting technique and/or tweaking feed times slightly).

Good luck
    Last edited by VicPark; 19-10-2016 at 05:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never wake my baby from sleeps and I don't think I ever would. Kinda cruel if they need that sleep I think it's fair to let them sleep. Because my issues is catnapping, I'm happy to try to get my baby back to sleep until 10.45 in the morning and then 2.30 in the afternoon.

If my baby sleeps more in the afternoon I would have to wake them for kinder and school pick ups

Will see what happens. If he ends up sleeping more in the afternoon I'll arrange someone else to do kinder pick ups and try to make it for school pick ups at 3.30

Thanka so much for the advice.