+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    This.
    To take LSL as actual leave, you need to wait until 10 years unless your company has something special in place that allows you to take it earlier (rare).
    At 7 years of service, you may be eligible to have the leave paid out to you upon termination of employment (there are certain criteria in different states - E.g. In QLD you don't receive it if you just leave to go to another job).
    However, in your case re. Maternity leave, any leave you took will not count towards your accrual. So if your 7 year anniversary was tomorrow, but you'd taken a year off for maternity leave, you'd only have 6 years accrued tomorrow & would need to work another year to hit that 7 years.

I'm in SA, so you'd need to double check for NSW particulars
    That's my understanding too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in WA and was recently made redundant after 8 years with my company, which included 6 months paid maternity leave and 18 months unpaid.

My payout included LSL, because they counted the whole 8 years when determining my eligibility for LSL; however, the amount only reflected 6 1/2 years of service because I didn't accrue LSL during my unpaid leave.

Whether that's the legal requirement or simply company policy, I don't really know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had this question answered by HR a couple of weeks ago. Your LSL accrues in line with your paid time with your company i.e. if you take 3 months of paid mat leave from your employer then your LSL will still kick in on the same day as it would have anyway. If you take 12 months off and 3 months is paid (leaving 9 months unpaid) then your LSL will be delayed by 9 months before you are eligible. Hope this makes sense.

Disclaimer - this is in line with the Long Service Leave Act 1995 which is for NSW. Other states may differ.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    I'm in WA and was recently made redundant after 8 years with my company, which included 6 months paid maternity leave and 18 months unpaid.

My payout included LSL, because they counted the whole 8 years when determining my eligibility for LSL; however, the amount only reflected 6 1/2 years of service because I didn't accrue LSL during my unpaid leave.

Whether that's the legal requirement or simply company policy, I don't really know.
    That was nice of your company! I process payroll in WA and LSL only has to be paid out if an employee has worked 7 years. Unpaid leave does not count. I'm not 100% sure if paid maternity leave counts though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (22-10-2016)