+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby still cuddled for naps

My 5 month old boy sleeps great at night 6.30pm - 6am with 2 feeds. He goes straight down after his bottles and is super easy. But day naps are a different story.

He cannot self settle at all, he just becomes hysterical if left to cry ( then taking up to half an hr of soothing and cuddles to calm down). I've tried before tired signs, at the first yawn, at the first cranky noise, 15 minutes after tired signs etc. So at the moment I am rocking him (he's still swaddled) for 10 minutes until he's in a deep sleep then putting him down. He'll sleep for exactly 45 minutes then cannot resettle himself and I can't resettle him either. He wakes so cranky, so I find myself cuddling him for every nap so he sleeps for 1.5hrs each nap. I'm loosing my mind and feel like such a failure. Advice please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi scaredykait ... my second baby was exactly the same - a dream overnight but day sleeps harder to settled in the early days. I had to persevere and eventually (by about 6-7mths) it became a lot easier.
    I used the phase out method where you go in 2min, 5mins, 10mins (keep doubling until they fall asleep). I always said "ok its sleepy time now" put in the cot and close the door. He would protest at first so after 2mins go in reinforce again that it's "sleepy time" quick cuddle etc or whatever phrase you normally use... and keep doing this until he falls asleep. The only thing is you have to be persistent and consistent with it otherwise just stick with what you are doing they will all eventually learn to self soothe. Also from memory 5-6mth olds wake times are max 2 hrs so every 2 hrs they need to nap! Which I think equates to about 3ish naps per day depending on how long they sleep for. when he wakes after 45mins leave him for a few mins to see if he settles into the next sleep cycle .. if not , up he gets and you wait for 2 hrs to go down again. Hope that helps and good luck 🏻

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarnie88 For This Useful Post:

scaredykait  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And also obviously well fed, fresh nappy and swaddled or bag before naps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How many naps does he have during the day? Maybe he just needs more frequent naps that are shorter? Babies will eventually merge their naps into longer naps and have more awake time in between, but at 5 months I think it's pretty normal to have 45 min naps. If it takes 10 mins to settle each time, I would stick to that for now. They change their patterns and habits so often, it's kind of pointless to try and figure out a solution to a problem that won't exist in a few weeks. Also, this is just my personal opinion from my experience with having 2 boys, one which was a terrible sleeper/self-settler, and the other who settled well but still didn't sleep through until after 12 months, i don't think leaving him to cry is a solution for you, especially at his age and given that he becomes more hysterical and then it takes half an hour to calm him down. Better to go with the 10 minute cuddle approach and get a 35 min break.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (15-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much ladies! Very reassuring. I suppose I'll just keep cuddling for naps then! This too shall pass soon enough!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scaredykait For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Baby still cuddled for naps

How many day naps is bub having and at what times?

Is bub a big baby? Started solids yet?

I'm going to go against the grain and say that at 5 months day naps greater than 45 minutes are very feasible if the sleeps are timed right, solids aren't delayed past bubs readiness signs, an eat-play-sleep routine is used (as opposed to eat-play-eat-sleep), certain settling techniques are used (use a cloth comforter however no dummy/rocking/feeding to sleep).

Key to helping bub sleep for a length of time is ensuring the sleep environment stays the same from when bub falls asleep to when you expect bub to wake. If the sleep environment is different when bub is put to sleep (cuddling) than when bub stirs between sleep cycles (no cuddling) then bub will stir and think "wtf! Where is my cuddle?!?!!"

Not saying it's easy - it's not.

Good luck.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-10-2016 at 17:48.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I agree that longer than 45 minutes is feasible. I'm pretty sure that represents one sleep cycle. So if you go in at around 43 minutes and put your hand on bub's back and gently rock that might be enough to get him into the next cycle. It worked for me more often than not.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. We currently do a 3hr EAST routine (as much as possible). LOL also has solids twice a day. I always attempt to settle in his cot, however sometimes he gets so worked up its hard to settle at all. He self settled 100% for bed last night.after bath, bottle, book then put him down awake. Took him 40 minutes of tossing his head around, but did manage to go to sleep by about 7.30 and slept until 5.30am. He has just had another bottle, a small play (40 minutes) then was appearing tired again. So we did our nap routine, sleeping bag, noise machine, lights off, quick cuddle until eyes get heavy, then I put him down and kept a hand on his back (sleeps on side) and he actually went to sleep!!!!! I'm stoked! He will probably only sleep for 45 minutes but at least he settled himself for a nap! First time ever!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scaredykait For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-10-2016),witherwings  (17-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    That's great news!!!! Fingers crossed he does it again or sleeps a bit longer for you.

It's a real shame that often people get 'routine' and 'schedule' mixed up. Routines are a godsend when you're trying to teach a Bub to self settle - a predictable set of activities that are done in the same order that signify that sleep is next. It's not always the only thing that works, however it goes a long way and is much different from a schedule which is where you feed Bub and put them to bed at the exact same time day in day out.