+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Normal to feel anxious about starting prep?

Next year DS2 starts prep (first year of school in Vic) He has mentioned that he won't know what to do...I've explained the teacher will help him..He also doesn't seem excited / talk about it much. I try not to talk about it too much because it's still 3.5 months away and that's ages for him. He visits the school quite a bit for drop off/ pick ups etc (His older brother attendeds)He's very social and already starting to read 3 letter words. He loves kinder!Could this just be his personality? Has anyone else's child seemed unsure / nervous about school but ended up ok?? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My DD2 is an anxious kid, not about school in particular but anything in general. She is 12 and has come a such a long way in managing her emotions.

It could certainly be his personality, maybe he just not one to get excited about change? DD2 hates it, but once she's on the other side, she doesn't look back.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Maybe your DS just hasn't thought about it because to him it still seems like a world away? I've only dabbled in kindy conversation with my DS a bit here and there (he's due to start next year). My plan is to slowly keep talking about it. When I know what teacher he will have I plan to talk some more. Maybe show him a picture book. Over Christmas and through January we will ramp the talk up.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has the school organised transition/orientation days? Speak to the school if you haven't heard anything (I'm pretty sure it's an requirement). You might find that after these days he is feeling a bit more excited about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is. Think about it. A lot of kids are home all day with their parents...ok some go to daycare or preschool but school is a big thing to a kid. They're overwhelmed by it. I personally think the early years of school should be part time to transition young kids. Ive seen little preppies/kindy kids crying. Now i homeschool my kids but they did go to school for a bit. I thought i had to send them and tears etc were normal and they'd get over it. Not really.

Does he have any friends starting school with him next year? Could you keep him back another year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does the school offer a transition program? My DS is starting Prep next year. His school run a 10 week program where they attend for an hour a week, started just before the September holidays. . They meet potential classmates and teachers and learn things like where the toilets are. They take and eat their snack and do some group activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
    Does the school offer a transition program? My DS is starting Prep next year. His school run a 10 week program where they attend for an hour a week, started just before the September holidays. . They meet potential classmates and teachers and learn things like where the toilets are. They take and eat their snack and do some group activities.
    The school that ds is going to next year does the same thing. We've found it really beneficial because he has an understanding of what will happen now. No nerves, no tears and he knows the teachers and their names now, as do we.

If the school your sending your child to does any transition program get into it asap.