+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bully problem need help

Hi all. Putting this in general to get more responses. I'm asking for a friend.
    My friends daughter in high school is getting badly bullied, death threats, threats of beating younger sibling and just generally badly bullied inside school and via text/fb etc.
    The school has pretty much just said to ignore it. They aren't helping at all.
    What can my friend do because her daughter is refusing to go back to school.
    Is there someone higher up than the principle that much friend can lodge a complaint with?

Cheers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lodge a complaint with your local member and then the education department- with death threats I would also contact the police - one of my clients had a bad bullying incident at the local high school and apparently any complaints that go to your local member have to be followed up and they usually call the education department who then contact the school , it took months of emails and calls but then the education department did step in and made the school do something about it ( not sure what though!)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (14-10-2016),Mod-xkwzit  (14-10-2016),NORgirl  (14-10-2016),TheGooch  (14-10-2016),Wise Enough  (15-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first thought is the police. Althougb if the school has done nothing the Department of Education needs to be contacted. But due to death threats I would go straight to the police.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (14-10-2016),Mod-xkwzit  (14-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the death threats and threats of violence, your friend should absolutely go to the police. And make sure she keeps all records, text or write in a journal if verbal.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (14-10-2016),Mod-xkwzit  (14-10-2016),VicPark  (14-10-2016)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep absolutely the police. that is beyond a bit of schoolyard bullying.

I cant believe the school said just ignore it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (14-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Police immediately and letter to the minister for education in your state. Or if they don't want to wait phone the minister's office and tell them they want to make a serious complaint. They should then get support over the phone immediately.
    I have worked in a ministers office before and we were not able to refuse a constituent complaint over the phone even if they were ridiculous. Minister's office will be scared it'll go to the media they should contact the education department (who will contact the school) for answers straight away.
    The child is in a physically and mentally unsafe place so serious action needs to be taken.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see you're in WA, so I'm working on the assumption your friend is to

Is the school public or private? If public, your friend can call her regional education office and ask to speak to the coordinator of regional operations and they can help to try resolve the issue.

If catholic, they can contact the catholic education office. An independent school I'm not 100% sure but AISWA may be able to provide some guidance. They might not have the authority to act though, I'm not entirely sure how they operate.

However the police are definitely a viable option re death threats and threats of violence. I'm shocked the school is ignoring it if it's that bad and they've been made aware of the facts. But having said that, the school is limited in what it can do if the bullying is not happening on school grounds, outside of school hours. That's not really in their jurisdiction so to speak. So they can't punish a student for something they did out of school. In that case I'd definitely contact police.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (14-10-2016),Reina83  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone. I'm passing the info along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it were me I would lodge a police report. Then I would email the principal and education department to let them know the report number. The more people on the one email chain - the faster things move. If I didn't get any progress then I would cc my Local MP on the email chain.

I went to a school where there was a lot of bullying and kids were frequently assaulted. Fortunately I was never touched - I threatened to call the police if anyone touched me. Earned me a title of nerd but I could live with that. Not saying it will work for everyone - just want to flag that police involvement or the threat of it may help.

Best of luck for your friend and her kid.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post: