+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby name etiquette?

So DF and I were somehow talking baby names last night even though we are not even close to another one lol

We were talking girls names and i mentioned to him that I always wanted to use my nans maiden name for a baby girl but couldn't because his stepbrother has a daughter who has the same name.

So I was wondering what do people see as an etiquette with baby names? Would you consider still using the name (nans maiden name) even though there's already a child in the family with that name? Do you think it crosses a line? Does anyone have something similar like this in their family? What is the general reaction?

To add (if it makes a difference..) the stepbrother has his children on school holidays. So are with their mother a lot.

Does any of that make sense haha

For the record I've settled with not using my nans maiden name as a name but was still curious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't see the issue in it at all. We have double ups of names in my family and it's never been taken negatively. In fact the opposite! It's almost been a nice thing for those people to share the same name. I will add that there has been quite a big age gap between those people so we refer to them as big x and little x if we need to specify (if the context of the conversation hasn't already given it away).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (14-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the name Matthew and always have. Unfortunately it's my brothers name (I made the mistake of telling my mum I loved it when she was pregnant). Hubby doesn't see the problem with using it but I'm very conflicted lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (15-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would use the same name in different generations. Our family have an Amy in every generation for the last 6.

In the same generation I would be more careful. I wouldn't use the same name for my child if one of my sib's kids already used it. Or one of my cousins kids if we saw them all the time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (15-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I over thought the naming process when naming my DD, I loved a name for a girl but I had a distant cousin (who lives overseas and I never see) with the same name so I avoided it. Since that my cousin has had a daughter and used the same name as DD which I have to say frustrated me at first after how I thought so much about DD name, how ever it is what it is now and the name just fits.
    I wouldn't do that again but would avoid close family names of children of the same generation as my future child. I think its nice to use a name from older generations though so its passed down in the family.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (15-10-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS has the same name as my maternal grandfather, although that's not why we did it. He always went by his second name so I don't think of DS and he having the same name.
    DS has the same name as one of DH's cousins children. I think I've met the parents and child once.
    We don't see it as an issue and to my knowledge, no one in the family gives it a second thought.
    I wouldn't use a name if there was another child in the same generation, that we were close to, who already used it.
    Having said that, my SIL and her DH chose the name of SIL and DH's Nanna as the middle name of their DD. I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid if someone else used the name too. She's a much loved Nanna so it wouldn't be unusual if someone did.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (15-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies! Smashed phone screen so I couldn't reply easily haha.
    I do agree a different generation wouldn't be bad but yeah they would be cousins so it's quite close. On the other hand DF cousin named her daughter my great nans name that I would of liked to use as well haha. Can't catch a break haha