+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Taking aspirin when at risk of pre-eclampsia

Hey Ladies,

My NT scan results showed that I'm at risk of developing pre-eclampsia. The scan place recommends that I take 100mg of aspirin daily from 16 wks (I'm 16 wks tomorrow).

My GP seemed a bit hopeless when helping me understand the results and she referred me onto the pregnancy unit at the hospital.

I got into the Midwifery Group Practice at the hospital but am not due to have my first appointment until 17 wks. I called my midwife to ask her advice though and she said that she was a bit cranky at the scan place I went to because they were giving similar results to lots of women based on findings that she didn't think we're supported. So she said, in her opinion, not to bother taking the aspirin.

About a week later, I got a call from the pregnancy unit at the hospital saying that they had reviewed my results and they agreed with the recommendation for me to take the aspirin.

So now I'm in two minds!

Has anyone else had similar results from their NT scan? Has anyone else taken aspirin to prevent pre-eclampsia? Is there any harm in taking it just in case?

How can they already tell that I'm at risk - from my understanding, pre-eclampsia doesn't develop until later in pregnancy? My blood pressure has been fine at all my checkups.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did. I was already taking aspirin as per my fertility clinic protocol so I just stayed on it until 36 weeks. It was mostly annoying remembering to take it!

I didn't develop PE though who knows if that was because I was never going to or the aspirin or whatever. It certainly didn't hurt.

With my second pregnancy I just stayed on it until about 34 weeks because no one could tell me whether or not I should stop!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never actually heard they can see if you're at risk via a scan, something that should be used more often I think.
    I'm only 6 weeks and my OB has recommended that I start taking aspirin depending on my BP at my next appointment. His reasoning was that they've found a link between aspirin keeping high blood pressure at bay/helping. I've never suffered PE but have suffered pregnancy induced hyper tension with my last 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would ask them to explain what puts you in the high risk category. You have every right to know why someone is suggesting you take aspirin.

If it was me, I'd start taking the low dose aspirin (as it's been recommended by two different sources) and just ask lots of questions at your 17 week appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @SurferGalGC i believe part of the blood test that they do for your NT can measures the amount of PAPP-A in your blood and can indicate a higher risk of the possibility of developing PE.

100mg of asprin is a very small dose (baby asprin) and can help increase blood flow and decrease the chance of clotting.

I am on the same dose and started at 14 weeks. Alot of ladies take it, especially after recurrent miscarriages.

If you are unsure, do you have another doctor you can ask?

Maybe @M'LadyEm or @JR03 can help more.

(Apologies if i have gotten any of the above info incorrect)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh - so my hospital was doing a study into placental blood flow and it's correlation with PE, which is what flagged me as high risk. My bloods were fine (Papp-a etc). It was all a bit vague and sketchy from memory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I developed PE in my first pregnancy at 26 weeks. There was no indication at my 12 week scan that I'd get it. In my subsequent pregnancies I was put on baby aspirin to avoid getting PE again and didn't end up getting it. Not sure if the aspirin was the reason but there's absolutely no harm in taking it. It's a low dose and like PPs have mentioned, can help with blood flow. PE is awful and dangerous, if I knew I was at a heightened risk of getting it I wouldn't hesitate.
    Btw, my ob said that it should be taken with calcium to help prevent PE. I don't know - might want to check with your own doc about whether it's necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know if it was the scan or blood results? If it was low Papp-a as mentioned above it does lead to a higher risk of developing PE. Depends on the level. I had quite a low level and did get PE, I wasn't on aspirin. If I get pregnant again I've been advised to take it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm taking aspirin (was already on it to help fall pregnant and it worked), but continued until my midwife appointment. Had high blood pressure, but not PE. However obstetrician told me to stay on aspirin and take it in combination with 1000mg of calcium and high dose folate to prevent PE.
    32 weeks now and blood pressure has been behaving

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had preeclampsia and I'd do anything o could to avoid it. They call it "baby" aspirin. It's meant to help blood flow.

It doesn't hurt to get second, third opinions. I wish I had a heads up during my early pregnancy.
    I ended up severe delivering at 32w.

Wishing you a healthy pregnancy