+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ice skating for 7yo girls party

I'm contemplating this but wondering how many parents will be freaked out and concerned that it's too dangerous. Am I overthinking - is it an ok idea?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We've been to an ice skating party and that was for a 6th birthday ( most kids were still 5) it was fine - DS had never skated before and he liked it - yes he fell down a lot in the beginning but in no way did I worry about it

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I had an iceskating party for DD's 9th - and it was great. There were lots and lots of littler kids who all loved it. I would go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Urgghhh. ..I did this for my DS 9th bday...A guest fell and smashed his front, needing dental treatment. I felt absolutely terrible and swore never again. I spent the whole party feeling anxious one of the kids might hurt themselves...and one did. Happy to take and be responsible for my own kids (they love ice-skating!) but noone else's!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm thanks, I feel a bit fearful of accidents too but then as others have said they had a great time. Might think some more about it - DH wasn't so keen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been to a few now around the same age. I've found a majority of the kids have a great time, but some kids were terrified of skating and spent the entire party in the party room and wouldn't even attempt it or gave it a crack then clung onto the wall until an adult rescued them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD was invited to a normal roller skating party at 7 years old and nearly all the Mums freaked out (and that wasn't even ice skating) because none of their daughters had ever skated before (including my daughter). I thought it was a cool idea, was a smidgy nervous, but my DD took to it like a duck to water and loved it, but so many others had their Mums project their own fears onto their daughters and there were all these little girls standing there not wanting to give it a go. I felt really sorry for the party Mum.

I think an ice skating party sounds awesome, but going by the 'roller skating' party my dd went to, I honestly wouldn't be game to hold an ice skating one for that age group, even though I know personally my 7 year olds would have totally loved that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be fine with it.

Having said that, I did experience the horror of having a child break their arm at DD's roller skating party last year.

I would make sure you had a few extra adults with you to walk kids around the rink if they need help. That is if it is possible to walk around an ice skating rink. Possibly not?

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We did one for SDD's 9th and it was a huge hit even with the younger kids. Kids don't real as easily as grown ups! You can get the thingies to help skate too but they cost a bit extra.