+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Chicks you admire

To balance out the juddiness that's been around here lately:

who are the top 3 chick you admire?
    what does this reveal about you?

Let me start:

1) Julie Bishop. The right mix of professionalism and empathy. Holds her own with the dudes in a way that doesn't bring gender into the equation. Except to shine a positive light on it.

2) A friends wife. Lost their kid a while back and she soldiers on trying to help others. To think of others when you are living a hell - amazing woman.

3) My Nanna. Grew up during the war and saw things many (western) women nowdays haven't seen. Moved countries with a young family, away from her family. Endured more challenges than what I probably ever will.

What this days about me?
    - I like chicks with balls?
    - career focused?
    - I tend to focus on heads down bum up work to solve it (not saying that's always best).
    - have a soft spot (sometimes) for those in need
    - I don't rate my own immediate family that highly??
    Last edited by VicPark; 11-10-2016 at 20:24.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (11-10-2016),~Marigold~  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Constance Hall (blogger) for keeping shiz real and making me realise I don't exist to please others.
    My maternal grandmother who grew up in poverty, raised 6 kids in poverty with an abusive husband, lost a child in toddlerhood, stopped smoking at 50 and has managed to stay happy, content and witty.
    A close girlfriend. She's just a beacon in my life at the moment. I admire her serenity, her attitude, her ability to juggle and her utter acceptance of me, flaws and all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-10-2016),~Marigold~  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Constance Hall (blogger) for keeping shiz real and making me realise I don't exist to please others.
    My maternal grandmother who grew up in poverty, raised 6 kids in poverty with an abusive husband, lost a child in toddlerhood, stopped smoking at 50 and has managed to stay happy, content and witty.
    A close girlfriend. She's just a beacon in my life at the moment. I admire her serenity, her attitude, her ability to juggle and her utter acceptance of me, flaws and all.
    What does this say about me? I don't know. I like strong women who don't judge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing while I think about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My MIL. Has more than her fair share of rubbish to deal with and still manages to go out of her way for her kids/grandkids, even when she really can't.

The lady down the road. She's just the exact type of lady I would like to be. When my entire house came down with gastro while hubby was away, she came up and was a total mum to me. I don't have a mum (apart from MIL who I clearly adore) so it was very surprising to me, seeing someone so giving.

My sons teacher. She had breast cancer during her last pregnancy. She went without treatment and had a breast removed so she could continue the pregnancy. She has been re-diagnosed now years later and is going through treatment. But she is still an amazing mother and wife, as well as helping her husband run their farm. A true super woman that one.

I suppose that means I like women who go out of their way for others despite having their own things holding them down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Can they be deceased and fictional characters? I do admire all my female friends and family in the sense that I feel they are amazing and I'm proud of their achievements, but if we're talking about inspirational people..

1) Golda Meir

2) Oprah Winfrey

3) Madonna

4) Elizabeth Bennett

* sorry I had to put 4 lol

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-10-2016),Yogis Mumma  (11-10-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I admire:
    1. My sister. Essentially put herself through uni by working 3 part time jobs while doing an Arts/Law degree. Then did her Masters and now just finished an MBA that took her all over the world. No one did this for her. She did it. Worked hard and paid for it herself (we were a single income household after my mum died). This woman has achieved everything she set out to. From career to trekking to everest base camp. I'm impressed but also a bit scared of her tbh. She's kind of relentless

2. My grandmother who ran off and eloped in the 30s. Married to the love of her life for 50 years before he died.

3. Gillian Triggs. That woman has gumption. A gutsy determined and unapologetic advocate for social justice.

Mine are pretty obvious. I favour hard work, those who fight for those who don't always have a voice and I'm a diehard romantic.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

My mum

Amal Abou-Hamden - the neurosurgeon who saved my mum's life - check out her profile on LinkedIn - she is one AMAZING woman!

Sarah Richardson - TV designer

Candice Olson - another TV designer

ALL mums, especially single mums.

DD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm,

1. The Queen. I think she's amazing. From how she pitched in and was a mechanic during the war, to how she is still doing her duty now at 90. It can't have been easy to always had to do her duty and not live a real life. I admit I didn't like her for a few years because I thought she wasn't very kind to Diana, but she's been there for her grandkids and I think it's fabulous how she has been supporting William and Kate especially to have as much of a normal life as they can before they too have to take the throne.

2. Quentin Bryce. I'd never heard of her before she became the GG, but I think she's pretty awesome.

2. My Grandma. My Grandpop wasn't the easiest to live with and used to drink a lot of his pay when he was younger. She still managed to feed the kids, work (nurse) and when the grandkids (us) came along, was just the best. I miss her a lot and wish she had met my kids

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (11-10-2016),VicPark  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    1) Dr Catherine Hamlin, she's been helping and treating women in Ethiopia who have fistula from childbirth. She's amazing, such a profound effect on so many women's lives, they would otherwise be suffering greatly.

2) Isabella Darch, she has a blog about her wonderful, brave little boy Bede who has been fighting terminal brain cancer for a few years now. Her blog is beautiful and gut wrenching at the same time, the way she seems to have faced the extremely difficult hand thrown to her family is amazing. Every parents worst nightmare, she carries it with such strength for her little boy.

3) Rosie Battie, her story is so tragic yet she's really out there fighting for the cause to try and save others from her fate. I think she's incredibly brave.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (12-10-2016),VicPark  (12-10-2016)