+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What's worth reading?

I haven't read for leisure for years....I used to read all the time before I had kids, but I stopped reading when I had baby after baby cause I was too tired/busy, then I spent a few years getting a degree and didn't want to read after having my head in text books all day....
    But my kids are older, I don't study anymore, but I never got back to reading. I pick up my phone instead of a book when I'm bored and I want to change that. I have holidays from work coming up, and figure that's the time to start readimg again...but what's worth reading?
    It's been so long since I've read for pleasure that I really stopped reading as a young adult...I used to read biography's (not of famous people), and the last fiction books I read were Tomorrow When the War Began (haha! It's been years I tell ya!)
    So help me! I will be hitting up my local library. I don't have an ipad etc to read online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try the app Goodreads. If you enter books you've read and liked it generates suggestions based on that. Best memoir I've read this year is Magda Szubanski's Reckoning. Not your typical celebrity memoir. Fiction I've enjoyed this year included Nick Earls Wisdom Tree series (5 20000 word novellas so easy to knock over). If you need more suggestions hit me up - Reading is my only hobby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally second Goodreads, I love it. I'm currently reading Jane Eyre. Books I've recently finished which I looked are This Little Life (which I adored), White Fang, Girl on the Train and The Martian (spoiled if you've seen the movie but way better IMO)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! That app sounds good, but it's been so long since I've read books I probably need to move away from teen fiction and try something more adult like and then use the app!
    I'll check out the books that have been mentioned and use it as a starting point...thanks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are also reviews and stuff on there which might help you narrow down your list.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What's worth reading?

Good reads is great.

Nothing wrong with young adult books!

Anyway I've recently read the Game of Thrones books, thoroughly enjoyed those. Some other suggestions below:

Fantasy - Jim Butcher Furies of Calderon series, George RRMartin Game of Thrones series, David Eddings The Belgariad books

Steam punk - Jim Butcher The Cinder Spires series (only book one so far but brilliant read)

Cozy mysteries - Lorraine Bartlett Booktown mysteries, Charlaine Harris Aurora Teagarden or Lily Shakespeare series

Supernatural/paranormal - Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse or midnight Crossing series, Jim Butcher Harry Dresden Files, Laurel K Hamilton Anita Blake books

Crime/comedy - Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plumb series

Once you find an author you enjoy use the Literary map website to find similar authors.

Edit auto correct is a pain with writing names!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Thanks! That app sounds good, but it's been so long since I've read books I probably need to move away from teen fiction and try something more adult like and then use the app!
    I'll check out the books that have been mentioned and use it as a starting point...thanks!
    You can enter in any book you've read, rate it, and it'll make suggestions for you. I also loved Papillon, Shantaram, The Hunger Games trilogy and Wuthering Heights (my all time favourite book ever).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have recently read To Kill a Mockingbird which I loved.

My easy to read books are anything by Marian Keyes or Maggie Alderdson and Monica McInerney

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love anything by Australian author Liane Moriarty, with my favourite of hers being Big Little Lies.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EmmaJane75 For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJane75 View Post
    I love anything by Australian author Liane Moriarty, with my favourite of hers being Big Little Lies.
    She has a new one out - Truly Madly Guilty

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty22 For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (12-10-2016)