+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Firstly, Congratulations on your pregnancy!

With bras, I am small chested, so I didn't need a maternity one for quite a long way along, however, one good piece of advice (I got) was to ditch wearing any bras with an underwire, especially once breastfeeding.

This will sound weird and embarrassing for me to say, but I had no idea that all the extra blood pumping around your body may cause you to be extra, how shall I say this....amorous! Obviously not everybody will be h...y as hell pregnant and I am definitely speaking from second trimester onwards, but I know I was *blush* and it came as quite a shock to be honest.

Maternity clothes, I mainly just bought normal clothes and depending on the style would buy a size up and odd maternity outfits here and there, but I did splurge a bit on some nice maternity jeans like Seraphine and 7 for all mankind to name a few, as they don't look 'maternity' perse and I would wear them post birth till I felt comfortable in my normal jeans etc.

Other random things that come to mind are the relaxin helps your teeth move, so if you are wanting braces, pregnancy is a great time to get them and lessens the time you may need them on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Nope, no CRN. I'm assuming that's some kind of centrelink reference number? I've not had dealings with centerline since I was 18-19 and it was all too hard then so I gave up haha.

Bra wise it's more about knowing when to switch. I'll need more than just crop tops. DD pre prep and I reckon they're growing already. In saying that my current bras are still comfortable that's why I'm not sure when I should be switching.
    I switched bra when mine were uncomfortable. I would say ho to a bra shop and get fitted properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Bra wise it's more about knowing when to switch. I'll need more than just crop tops. DD pre prep and I reckon they're growing already. In saying that my current bras are still comfortable that's why I'm not sure when I should be switching.
    The general guide is from about 16-20 weeks you should have a good idea of what size you'll be throughout your pregnancy to go bra shopping. I was advised to switch to wire free as soon as possible, or at least from 20 weeks to relieve pressure the wire puts on your ducts etc which can cause mastitis when your milk comes in. The midwife at my child birth class the other day was very stern with all of us that we should absolutely not be wearing underwire anymore. I have only bought two nursing bras, one padded bra for wearing out and one plain soft fabric one for around the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anyone else got any hot tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What do I need to know?

Soooooo much congrats dude!!!!!

Stock up on panty liners cos activity can increase down there

Be prepared for swamp a$$. My crotch was always wet. I'm talking changing undies once or twice a day... In winter....

Don't bother with maternity clothes unless your loaded or need to dress up for work. One pair of mat jeans and one pair of mat tights. The rest just a size bigger or flowy style.

Keep dry crackers and water on your bedside table for midnight pee wake up and you realise your ravenous. I had a thing for 2am cut apple.

Buy a good maternity pillow. It's worth the investment.

Whenever you need to go up in cup size for comfort, that's when you should change to mat bra.

Walk every day if you can. Keeping fit will make EVERYTHING easier. Yoga etc whatever you feel like. The endorphins help with the exhaustion.

Take all of the photos!! Clothes on, clothes off, with partner, without partner, candids, posed. ALL OF THEM.

Don't buy too much baby stuff early. Most of it goes to waste lol.

Drink the recommended water intake (2+ litres), or as close as you can get without feeling sick. It actually helps with weight management.

Enjoy it!!! (But don't be surprised if you hate it lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm..

Maternity clothing

I only bought 2 maternity stretchy dresses from Target. The rest were long shirts/singlets and stretchy tube skirts.

Bras - I only got them when I outgrew mine. The underwire should be ok if your bra fits you. I got some Berlei from Myer and some from Target. I got some nicer ones from Myer after I started BF and the size settled

People

Be prepared for people to discuss and touch you during pregnancy. Your eyes will most likely be permanently rolling some days. Totally annoying and normal.

Weird stuff...

Moving baby is weird. It can make you feel ill when they do big rolls and move.

Buy lots of liners as discharge is never ending some days.

I was always underestimating my belly size and always tried to squeeze into places I did not fit. Maybe it was just me but giving a warning in case.

Oh on the topic of bellies I always made sure I wore separates at any ob appointments. Because there was always a belly feel (and doppler a little later) and I was more comfortable and quicker with separates.

Embrace cravings. They make life interesting.

I have a mind blank. There is probably more stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get things as you need them. My boobs didn't grow at all when pregnant, so I just switched to crop tops at around 24 weeks or so.
    I didn't have leakage issues.
    I didn't buy maternity clothes...just wore stretchy clothes which was much cheaper. Actually, I lie. I had one pair of maternity jeans. You will not want to wear your maternity clothes ever again so do it as cheaply as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's this about not wanting to wear maternity clothes? I didn't experience it so am intrigued.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTugs View Post
    What's this about not wanting to wear maternity clothes? I didn't experience it so am intrigued.
    I was young, so didn't want to dress like people a decade plus older than me looked...and I was a size 8 with a bump and small boobs. They didn't fit me...plus they were expensive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTugs View Post
    For me, it was a case of not really needing to buy specific 'maternity clothes' and most of them (that I liked) were exorbitant in price, so I didn't see the need as it was only a moment in time they would be worn.