+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What do I need to know?

Right, I'm hoping all you experienced folks can help me make sense of all things pregnancy related. Hit me with your recommendations, suggestions, information etc etc. I'm talking things like at what point do I need to switch to maternity bras? How and when do I navigate the whole Centrelink minefield? All those sorts of random things. What do you wish you knew in your pregnancy, what was your most valued advice.

I know all too well what happens at the pointy end, and have a pretty good idea about my birth options and what I want etc, so no need to go there. I'm just totally clueless when it comes to the actual growing the baby side!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi lovely lady finally something i can help you with!

Centrelink - you can apply for 3 months before your EDD. I would definitely recommend doing it early. Do you already have a CRN? That i found was the longest part as if you have one already, you do your application online. However i found it much easier to go in to do my application as they have staff on hand to assist, as i got stuck on a few questions.
    Oh and go early to avoid the queues!

Maternity bras, I got a few soft comfy maternity bras - more like crop tops, as i am quite small chested, a size or two bigger just from kmart as its hard to tell what size you will be once your milk comes in and then settles.

ETA:

Keeping a pregnancy journal - which you are already doing.

Take bump shots each week, its beautiful to look back on.

If i think of more, ill add in a new post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Nope, no CRN. I'm assuming that's some kind of centrelink reference number? I've not had dealings with centerline since I was 18-19 and it was all too hard then so I gave up haha.

Bra wise it's more about knowing when to switch. I'll need more than just crop tops. DD pre preg and I reckon they're growing already. In saying that my current bras are still comfortable that's why I'm not sure when I should be switching.
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 12-10-2016 at 09:36.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Switch bras when you need to for comfort. For me, my boobs were so tender and sore and full feeling quite early that I bought a couple of maternity bras and started wearing them around 12 weeks. I also slept in them a couple of nights as it was more comfortable.

I found that rule for all maternity clothes, when you need to for comfort, that's when I'd change.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Whoah I missed the good news! Congratulations!!

Unless you are loaded, you will have a small maternity wardrobe- try not to wear them all too early- you get sick at the sight of them after a while. But swap and sell pages are great to boost your staple maternity wear.

Feeling a baby kick in a stretched belly is oddddddddd. You might not like being pregnant- I hated it the first time around, detested it because it felt so foreign. I was young though, only 24 so it could have been a but immature.

Random advice, but there you go!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go in to Centrelink with ID about 3 months before EDD to get set up with CRN & linking code for MyGov. Do the first log on at the computers there as they have people to help you (I had to go back 3 times, could have avoided by doing it onsite).
    The application for PPL itself is not hard, just set aside an hour or so, have tax returns on hand for you & your partner and get it submitted.
    Make the time after the birth to go in with the proof of birth, you can get Medicare updated at the same time. Don't fill out all the pages if you've already done it online!
    I changed to maternity bras at about 20 weeks, but just change when underwires get uncomfortable. Go get fitted, the sales ladies are usually great about advising what size to get if you're not sure how much you'll "grow".
    Take some bump photos - I had DD at 37 weeks and only have 1 crappy photo of my bump DH took while I was in labour. Would love to have more pics to show DD while we're waiting for her baby brother to be born.
    Have a look at non-maternity shops that sell stretchy clothes, I've got a bunch of metalicus stuff I'd still wear after Bub is born this time around.
    Congratulations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Haha thanks Nomsie. Yeah, 8 weeks, scary sh!t! I did say to DH the other day that I had no idea where to buy maternity clothes from apart from target and big w haha. I assume Kmart has some but there isn't one at our local shopping centre so I rarely go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My entire maternity wardrobe is ASOS, plus stretchy stuff I mentioned above

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wore underwire bras till I had the baby. I just went up a cup so stole my mums .

Yep make do in your own clothes till they don't fit. I lasted until 30 weeks! Not jeans though. Leggings and flowy tunics are your friend.

Never had professional bump pics I just took them myself.

If you fill out the PPL form online they will say you need to fill out the whole paper book (you actually only have to do the start). If you fill out the whole paper book they will say you have to do it online .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My bras were still comfortable but I noticed I was leaking colostrum from them being so snug around 24-ish weeks haha! I didn't buy maternity bras though, I bought cheap Target bras with no underwire. Then at the end of my pregnancy I bought maternity bras when I was a bit closer to my "actual" post-baby boob size.

Re: maternity clothes, I hate trying to find maternity clothes so badly. I bought what I thought were 2 really nice dresses from Asos and they look like big sacks :-( jeans west's maternity clothes usually are a good fit but they don't have a lot of variety, mostly just basics. Have a look at next direct too. For more expensive stuff, angel maternity, ripe, queen bee.

Also with Centrelink, I did it all online and that was my first dealing with centrelink! The only thing I had to go in there for was to change the start date of my PPL. This was almost 4 years ago though so things may have changed.