+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3yo stuttering

My DD1 will be 3 next month, and she started talking around 18months. She's always been quite eloquently spoken, easy to understand and will repeat difficult words perfectly first go.

I've noticed the past couple of months that she will ask what something is, then repeats what you've told her, but doesn't actually copy what you've said, instead just making similar sounds (eg what's that mum, it's a wheelbarrow, what's a wear-banna?) I assume it's just not caring enough to pay close attention?

Anyway in the past week she's started stuttering when she starts sentences. "He-he-here's my dinner", "I-I-I want a biscuit", "Ah-ah-ah are you getting a drink?"

It's not every time she speaks, but it's happening often enough (and sometimes she'll start a sentence 10 times before the stutter stops and she says what she means) for me to wonder if it's because her brain is going faster than her mouth (a developmental stage)? And if it is, how long could I expect it to last?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2.5yo ds does this from time to time. I think it's because they are developing their vocab, and once they're able to pronounce or reach that milestone, it passes.

I considered going to a speech pathologist but it's seemed to have passed for us. Give it 2 months I reckon, and if not, get it checked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have gone through several years of speech therapy for my DD's stutter, which started around 3 years old. From what we were told, it's a really common phenomenon around that age and we were advised not to be too concerned about it initially. I think they said to contact a speech therapist in 3-6 months if it hadn't cleared up. In our case, DD was really stressed by it so we contacted them much sooner than that though. However, our DS also had a brief period of stuttering around 3 years old that has now cleared up (he's nearly 4). The advice of the speech pathologist was to ignore the stutter, give her our full attention (where possible) when she was talking and don't rush her or finish her sentences. Essentially, "listen to what she says, not how she says it".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I'll wait it out a little while and see how she goes.
    DH has been stopping her and telling her to slow down and think about what she wants to say before she starts again, but maybe I'll talk to him about not making a thing of it and just letting her get there on her own.
    She doesn't seem frustrated by it or anything so hopefully it'll sort itself out soon.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son is the same age and he's just started stuttering a not recently too. In my experience in childcare it is quite common around this age. Basically their brains are too fast for their speech to keep up with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    My son is the same age and he's just started stuttering a not recently too. In my experience in childcare it is quite common around this age. Basically their brains are too fast for their speech to keep up with!
    That's what I'm hoping it is, just that her brain is going a million miles and her mouth can't keep up! Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3yo stuttering

My 3yo doesn't stutter as such but starts babbling, particularly when over excited or has lots to say. It IS like her mouth can't keep up with her brain!
    Hopefully it'll resolve itself for you in a few months xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

TaylorMade  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have noticed a few kids in childcare that are DS's age (he is 3.5) stutter a little. He does not stutter but says um um um um um instead.

I know some of it is developmental. If you think its a little excessive then it does not hurt seeing the GP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

TaylorMade  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3yo stuttering

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
    My DD1 will be 3 next month, and she started talking around 18months. She's always been quite eloquently spoken, easy to understand and will repeat difficult words perfectly first go.

I've noticed the past couple of months that she will ask what something is, then repeats what you've told her, but doesn't actually copy what you've said, instead just making similar sounds (eg what's that mum, it's a wheelbarrow, what's a wear-banna?) I assume it's just not caring enough to pay close attention?

Anyway in the past week she's started stuttering when she starts sentences. "He-he-here's my dinner", "I-I-I want a biscuit", "Ah-ah-ah are you getting a drink?"

It's not every time she speaks, but it's happening often enough (and sometimes she'll start a sentence 10 times before the stutter stops and she says what she means) for me to wonder if it's because her brain is going faster than her mouth (a developmental stage)? And if it is, how long could I expect it to last?
    My son had the same sort of stutter. He still does it sometimes but not often enough to really notice - even adults often stutter when they are trying to articulate themselves. But the stutter for my DS lasted a long while. It started around 3yrs old but that's also around the time he started speaking. Your DD has been speaking eloquently since 18 months, so I don't know if that makes a difference.. It sounds like she is stumbling on simple phrases rather than trying to express something more complicated and getting "ahead of her brain"..

We did a lot of ST to overcome the stutter, and I'm so thankful we did. It didn't seem to bother my DS when he stuttered but I could tell others around him were frustrated with his communication skills (or lack thereof). He had other issues too though.

Since it's only been a week, I wouldn't be concerned but if she's still doing it in a couple of months and if it's getting more frequent, I would take her to see a ST for an assessment. It's one of those things that can be easily resolved with some exercises at home.

I agree with not interrupting and letting her finish her sentences, and whatever you do, don't tell her she is stuttering.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

TaylorMade  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents said that I used to stutter when I was a child, and now I have grown out of it. Hopefully it is something that will resolve over time!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to marshmallowpie For This Useful Post:

TaylorMade  (27-10-2016)