+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help with going dairy free

Firstly of all this is long so sorry!!

So DS3 who is 2 months old (where does time go!) tomorrow developed some pretty severe eczema around 4-5 weeks of age. His poor little cheeks were red raw and it slowly spread to scaly patches on his arms and legs.

Knowing one of the most obvious triggers was dairy I immediately cut it out (well thought I did). Within a week there was improvement and now there's very little remaining.

I wasn't very successful in cutting it out. Who knew that some breads contain milk proteins! A host of other things as well plus just some genuine slap to the forehead in hindsight lapses - like puff pastry for example ok so dairy is now finally gone but only really for the last 72 hours. I'm hoping this will clear up the remaining eczema.

I need help though. I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian since I was 17. I'm allergic to mushrooms, cannot tolerate tofu (I get severe and painful bloating after eating it). So I really need some help on dairy free alternatives from those who know. I noticed in another thread that @Sonja you don't eat dairy and I'm thinking @Elijahs Mum doesn't either?

What are the best tasting non dairy milks? Brands please if possible.

Any suggestions on meals I can make that are healthy, definitely quick and dairy/meat free? Eggs are fine. I've always used A LOT of cheese in my cooking - haloumi for burgers and salads, feta and ricotta for pasta dishes, cheese and crackers for a quick snack mid afternoon - you get the picture.

I'm living on salads, homemade felafels, eggs every way imaginable and roasted and steamed vegetables. I'm currently using nuttlex but wondering if there is something better - as I'm not really enjoying it (I love butter!).

Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Google whole30 recipes. There are literally hundreds of diary free recipes.

I drink / use a coconut almond milk blend. Buy it at Coles in long life milk section.

It seems hard but it actually isn't. There are so many people who are dairy free you will find heaps of guidance online.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter had to go dairy free for health issues and it blew me away at how it's in bloody everything!!!

- We started by just cutting out milk drinks full stop, didn't replace milk for drinking she just has water. For cooking I use home made almond milk so I know there are no additives and crap in it (sadly a lot of dairy replacements in the supermarket come ridden with a whole heap of other crap which are also triggers).

- I make coconut yoghurt because it's just an easy snack. You can buy it, but it's bloody expensive. So I purchased it once to get the good bacteria and just make my own from 100g of starter. Nudie make a nice coconut yoghurt.

- Make your own bread etc. or switch to bakery bread. Sourdough if possible because it's actually got a lot of health benefits.

- Cheese is a hard one because the homemade ones (I make cashew cheese) are nice, but they're not the same as cheese. I find I can use cashew cheese in cooking but not eat it.

If you can excuse the bad language, Thug Kitchen have some incredible vegan cookbooks, you don't feel like you're missing out or living off salad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Google whole30 recipes. There are literally hundreds of diary free recipes.

I drink / use a coconut almond milk blend. Buy it at Coles in long life milk section.

It seems hard but it actually isn't. There are so many people who are dairy free you will find heaps of guidance online.
    Will do!

I've tried coconut milk and almond milk seperately and didn't really like them. I've seen the blended one so I'll try that next thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Anjalee I've moved over to sourdough which I love anyway so that was an easy fix.

I hadn't thought about making my own milks - time is an issue for the moment but hopefully once DS3 is a bit older it will be easier.

Any substitute suggestions for butter?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Snap. DS2 who is 13 weeks is the same. Eczema wasn't bad though and only a slight issue on his face so I cut back considerably on dairy and it improved then his poops went mucusy which is another on dairy intolerance. I've cut out bread aswell as even some gluten free breads have dairy.

I'm having rice crackers with hummus as a snack

80% Lindt dark chocolate for fix on the odd occasion

Nuttelex for butter I don't mind it as I don't use much I bought rice butter thinking it was ok but it's not

Massel stock cubes are gluten free so I put a tiny bit of that on chicken for flavour

I'm using Coles brand almond milk it doesn't taste to bad actually. I love my chai latte so I'm having the nerada chai tea bags as a substitute

DS is also on allerpro formula for when he needs a top up from lack of crappy supply from me

My bestie 2 kids where the same but she ended up having to go gluten, lactose, dairy, soy and but free. Basically she lived in salad, plain boiled rice and plain chicken.

Our paed said it can take up to a month to wipe the dairy from our systems 100%. We've had a small change in 1.5wks so are in our way

Look at it this way. We'll lose weight. I'm down 1 kg in a week with no dairy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    IMG_1476156679.649920.jpgIMG_1476156702.031920.jpg

I found the dip in food land and the "cheese" in Coles $7.60 for that little amount. Haven't tried it yet though

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I still use dairy but try not to use too much and we rarely have milk but unfortunately we love butter and cheese! I do use almond milk in smoothies and for the rare time DS has cereal - I usually get Australias own organic almond milk - for meals my sister is vegan so when she's over if we are at her place we have:

Pasta - eggplant chili and tomato or roasted cherry tomato and rocket or basil pesto ( no Parmesan)
    Veggies Curries - with coconut milk
    Lentil rice
    Veggie Paella
    Mushroom risotto
    Chickpea or lentil burgers
    Mushroom and bean tacos
    Baked beans
    Roasted pumpkin salads
    Veggie stir Fry's with noodles
    Vege or lentil soup ( easy to make big batches and freeze)
    Pizza - she uses soy cheese but I don't like it !
    Use Avocado instead of butter on sandwiches and crackers and wraps

Unfortunately I love butter as well so don't have a substitute except use olive oil with fresh crusty bread or nuttleex which you have

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @babybeeno1 yes the weight loss of a very pleasant side effect lol I've lost almost 2kgs!

Have already hit the Lindt chocolate

I know it can take a long time to clear from the system so Im hoping it will clear over the next few weeks now I've got my act together!
    @Elijahs Mum oh I love butter. My mum always told us when she was cooking that if you need to boost the flavour - butter or cream! Sigh....

Anyway thanks for the meal suggestions. All of which are logical I'm just so sleep deprived I'm having a brain freeze.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Double post