+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stopping breastfeeding

Hi I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas on how I can stop my milk supply? I don't believe my milk supply is that good and it's stressing me out and I would like to go onto formula as it will settle bubs more, just not sure how to stop my supply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How old is your baby? It's helpful to know how long you've been breastfeeding as to how you'd do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can give the Aba a call for support and advice, they are fantastic.

If you are not sure about your supply and are having a few issues and want to continue breastfeeding, organizing an consult with an IBCLC is really worth it

Unfortunately I don't have any first hand knowledge on how to stop, I am a ftm and am currently still bfing.

All the best with whichever path you choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Stopping breastfeeding

Depends on how old bub is. If you've been breastfeeding only a short while it shouldn't be too difficult; I stopped breastfeeding DD1 after about a month or so without any fuss.

If bub is older and has been breastfeeding for a while it will be a more involved process to ensure you don't end up with mastitis.

Also just want to add that there's no truth to the myth that formula settles babies more than breast milk. Of course there's no shame in switching to formula but all babies are different and some are just unsettled by nature. I'd hate for you to switch to formula thinking it will settle your bub only to find it doesn't work. As someone else said give the ABA a call, they will be able to offer a lot of support and advice regardless of whether you choose to quit breastfeeding or continue.
    Last edited by Mama Mirabelle; 11-10-2016 at 12:04.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hi

He is only 2 weeks old I'm topping him up at the moment which is settling him but really just want to stop feeding now and go onto formula, but my breasts r so sore from filling up I'm still putting him on to get relief etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It takes a few weeks for your milk to settle in after birth hence why your so engorged aswell and a bit sore. Keep bubs on for at least 15 mins per side and ensure they have a good latch.

I've struggled with my DS2 who is 13 wks with BF so I top him up with formula when I need to. Generally 2x 100ml bottles a day.

Like others have said formula doesn't necessarily make them more settled. Yours being that way only means they are still hungry and want mor boob hind milk.

If your definitely wanting to stop I'd stop one feed at a time and replace that one with formula and so on every few days.

Call the Aba of your really sure and they'll give you the best advice.

But the formula your using now may not necessarily be the one you end up using. We've gone through 4 different ones to get the right one. They can start out fine but end up horrible. 1 tin for us was $33 and 3 bottle later DS loathed it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your Dr can give you tablets to dry up the milk.

Congratulations on your new arrival

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hun by all means stop if you want to there is absolutely no Shame in using a bottle - your GP can help you transition (if they are trained as a lactation consultant even better).

If there is any secret desire to keep trying to breastfeed then please see a lactation consultant. It's very usual for babies to appear to be unsatisfied at the 2 week mark and to appear to want to feed more. They appear more unsettled so you feed them more and feeding them more helps with your milk supply. Reducing breastfeeds by using a bottle interferes with that process.

Pain is common, however it's not necessary though. I experienced pain until in not sure the 4-5 week mark. Could have been fixed earlier if I had regular access to a lactation consultant to help with positioning etc. Also, I suspect my bub had a tongue tie that was never diagnosed - notorious for causing unnecessary pain.

Anyhoo - whatever you do you will be fine and your bub will live you regardless.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

sproutx3  (12-10-2016)