+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What am I entitled to?

Dear all,

I hope you can help me.

Hubby has two kids from previous marriage. A daughter he pays $1200 pm in child support and has 1/3 care. I get along with his daughter and her mum very well.

He also has an adult son who he pays $1000 for rent and other stuff. His mother does the same. He is 22 and doesn't work.

Hubby earns a good wage. Over 150k currently but it changes pending on how well his business does in any given year.

We own a house which we intended to sell. Profit would likely be $300k. The bank would take the remainder as its mortgaged.

I used to earn about 75k working full time. I also study full time. I am not intending to return to work until mid next year (currently on mat leave) but I am still studying full time while at home.

There has been a lot of tension and fighting going on between us and I am considering leaving. Now I am wondering what I would be entitled to from him and Centrelink before and after I am returning to work as I only wish to return to part time work until my Bub is a little older. Can I even do this? Is there anyone who I can talk to about my entitlements other than a lawyer? All I want is a quick run down on what benefits I can apply for etc.

I need to make sure Bub and I can afford a roof over our head and food. I have no high expectations but want to be able to live a normal life with Bub.

I have no family or friends I could stay with and not much savings.

Thanks in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TryingForNo1 For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can test your eligibility using the centrelink online rate estimator. Put your circumstances in and it will . let you know what your eligible for. Look for single parent payment and family tax benefit. A lawyer can't give you anymore benefits than your entitled too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't mean it that way. I know a lawyer can help me determine what I am entitled to though. Thank you proud mumma

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What am I entitled to?

I don't really know for sure, but I imagine you would just be eligible for Parenting Payment Single (which is roughly $370 a week) and obviously Family Tax A and B, although it depending on how you split care because he may be entitled to some of that too.
    Child support will depend on how you arrange care. They also would take his other children into account so I don't know if that reduces it slightly. No idea how that works. The amount of child support he pays does reduce Parenting Payment though so the more he pays the less you get from Centrelink. Once you are working I don't imagine you would be eligible for too much though. There should be an online calculator you can use to estimate Centrelink payments and child support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    PPS, tax a and tax b. Rent allowance if you choose to rent a home. A little bit of electric etc but not a lot. You'd get child support yes but as he already pays it to his ex you won't get what she gets it'll be less infact if you do leave and file for it her child support will go down as you DH will have a multi case allowance.

You need to think really hard if leaving is the right thing to do with a newborn.

There is always a lot of fighting and tension in the first year of a child's life I feel it's normal. Your at home all day with a baby who may or may not be a screamer which could drive you nuts then your DH gets home and expects dinner and perfectly looking home. It's very hard just remember that and a bit of tension is normal but I don't think it's warrant for leaving

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and you would get some study assistance if you are studying. But it's only about $30 a week for full time study. It's really tough, but doable. I'm sure you haven't gone into your reasons fully so only you know how bad things are or how unhappy you are. But it's manageable, you just need to be pretty strict with your finances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. :-)