+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default FAILSAFE diet and behaviour

Dietician has recommended trying the fail safe diet for my almost 6 yr old DS if cutting out additives doesn't help on its own, which so far after 2 weeks it hasn't at all. So think we'll have to try full fail safe next week!

Anyone have experience of this, and success please? I've read a lot on the fed up website about it. Hoping it may help. Psychologist told us today it's definitely a behaviour problem not anything more such as ASD. Also need to be more consistent with our discipline etc, so will be addressing that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have had periods on and off the diet. I have found it helps my DD a lot. She has severe anxiety and gut issues and both improve dramatically when she is on the diet. The trouble is sticking to it. She swaps food at school and it is hard to police.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a colleague who has a child that must avoid salicilates. They worked this out through using the Failsafe diet then slowly reintroducing foods and monitoring for a reaction. I also did a professional development session run by a brain biochemist on the impacts of food, additives, environmental chemicals, mineral deficiencies and other external factors that can alter brain responses and therefore behaviour.

Both have said the reintroduction process is key to the success of Failsafe's diet. It is so restrictive that it is not a viable long term solution so it is important to work out exactly what is the cause so they can then eat as varied a diet as possible, just avoiding the reactive food/additive. Think of it more as a diagnostic tool rather than a life change in itself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I have a colleague who has a child that must avoid salicilates. They worked this out through using the Failsafe diet then slowly reintroducing foods and monitoring for a reaction. I also did a professional development session run by a brain biochemist on the impacts of food, additives, environmental chemicals, mineral deficiencies and other external factors that can alter brain responses and therefore behaviour.

Both have said the reintroduction process is key to the success of Failsafe's diet. It is so restrictive that it is not a viable long term solution so it is important to work out exactly what is the cause so they can then eat as varied a diet as possible, just avoiding the reactive food/additive. Think of it more as a diagnostic tool rather than a life change in itself.
    Thank you that's every helpful. Yes I hope he doesn't react to too much because it's pretty hard for a 6 yr old!!

Dietician wanted me to do it under her supervision but it's hard to afford the sessions. My colleague has a copy of the books so I may try to do it on my own very carefully.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    We have had periods on and off the diet. I have found it helps my DD a lot. She has severe anxiety and gut issues and both improve dramatically when she is on the diet. The trouble is sticking to it. She swaps food at school and it is hard to police.
    Yes I discovered DS had taken some money from his money box and bought himself a banana moo milkshake from tuck shop on Friday! He was a wreck on Saturday. So many tantrums. Though when I looked up the ingredients on the Devondale website they all seemed FAILSAFE so pretty confused about that!!

I'm glad to hear it's helped your DD 😊