+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Teaching activities

hi all, just wanting to hear from other mums what things they do with their mini me's to help get their little thinkers going. I am having a lot of fun with DS, but I would like to get some inspiration to do things I may not have come up with myself. So what brain games do you do with your tots?

EDIT I should probably also mention DS is 6 months so walking and talking hasn't quite started.
    Last edited by Tdez; 10-10-2016 at 07:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do a lot of just asking questions while doing things. "what colour is this shirt" while getting them dressed. "How many sausages am I cooking" when doing dinner. "What animal makes this sound". That kind of stuff. Just incorporate it into everything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We used to count the stairs as we walked up and down them since DS was about 6 months old and as soon as he could speak he used to count them as well ( funny watching a 18 month old counting to ten!) plus any time you talk about things mention their colours and shapes ( the white clouds look fluffy in the blue sky, the green grass , the yellow banana , the round ball, the rectangle book ect) DS was really good at shapes and colours and numbers really early as my mum especially used very descriptive words , also we would read road signs in the car ( speed limits. stop signs etc ) then obviously reading to them, we always ( and still do now at 5, but he can read to us now!) read a bedtime story since he was a baby which I think is really important

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I do a lot of just asking questions while doing things. "what colour is this shirt" while getting them dressed. "How many sausages am I cooking" when doing dinner. "What animal makes this sound". That kind of stuff. Just incorporate it into everything.
    This ^
    Just talk to him through everything you're doing. "One leg in, two legs in" while dressing him etc.

At that age, you could start introducing things like stacking blocks. They love knocking them down and it's teaching cause and effect.
    Shape balls (the red and blue Tupperware ones) are good. While he most likely wouldn't be able to put any of the shapes in the holes yet, it's a good chance to talk about shapes and he will be paying close attention to you putting the shapes in.

Their minds are sponges and they are absorbing so much information just from small activities and interactions, so just keep the communication up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also I have started reading a book with my 6mo. Of course it is not a long book. But changjng voices and actions keeps her interested for a bit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post

At that age, you could start introducing things like stacking blocks. They love knocking them down and it's teaching cause and effect.
    Shape balls (the red and blue Tupperware ones) are good. While he most likely wouldn't be able to put any of the shapes in the holes yet, it's a good chance to talk about shapes and he will be paying close attention to you putting the shapes in.

)
    We have the plastic cups that are numbered and when I stack them he army crawls across the room to knock them over, absolutely loves that game!
    I actually remember using a shape ball when I was little! Totally forgot about them until now, back to the toy store I go!

We have been reading books since day dot, reading is part of his bedtime routine, I bought the alphaprint books from Kmart, they are fantastic. I am so looking forward to when he is old enough to read himself, I bought the who, what, when, where and why books before I was even trying for a baby because I loved them as a kid, I picked one every night and we learned about a new thing, then I would recite that information over and over to anyone who would listen.

Isn't it fun shaping a tiny brain? Not that my life didn't have purpose but life is so much more fulfilling with a kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Teaching activities

I have read lots that says unstructured, independent play in nature is by far the best thing for children's brain development. So for us bush walks and fostering a love of animals and the outdoors. X

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-10-2016),Tdez  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just let him be a baby

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unschooling4 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-10-2016),Tdez  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    Just let him be a baby
    This. He's 6 months old. It never occurred me to me to even thank about it at that age. Talk to him and cuddle and kiss him. They develop so much just through the love we show them.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-10-2016),Tdez  (10-10-2016),Unschooling4  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    This. He's 6 months old. It never occurred me to me to even thank about it at that age. Talk to him and cuddle and kiss him. They develop so much just through the love we show them.
    I totally agree that you need to let them be babies as well, we have lots of cuddles and kisses and as much downtime as we can, the thing is he is SO curious and often tries to wriggle out of my arms to touch something he see's, so I like the idea of feeding that active brain with whatever I can but helping him to learn and develop as he discovers. He basically came out wanting to do stuff haha.