+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default UTI in 3yo, refusing to go to the toilet

My 3yo daughter has a UTI, the home Dr came out late this afternoon and she has had her first dose of antibiotics. She did 3 wees within about an hour before 9am today, and ever since has attempted to go to the toilet 3 times and only releases a drop before she gets upset about the pain. I've had her drinking heaps of water, probably 750ml or so in the last few hours. So her bladder would be really full but she just won't go and cries when I mention trying. I've tried every bribe under the sun; kinder surprises, watching the iPad while she does a wee, watching tv while we eat dinner, etc. I've told her she's going to get pains in her tummy from having too much wee in there, and also that she might wet the bed from being busting. I've suggested sitting in a warm bath to try to wee because it will stop the stinging a bit, no deal.

I guess trying to get her to wee is something I'm going to have to keep trying at but are there any health issues with her pretty much not weeing for ~12 hours, closer to 24 hours if she goes all night without weeing (she never wakes up to go to the toilet through the night normally)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you got a nappy? I know it's going backwards but we did that with DD when she had UTI also have you given panadol (prob silly question lol).

If not you might have take her to hospital

3. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im with monnie, id take her to the hospital. Poor thing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

JR03  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would try the shower. Maybe and cranberry juice and ural could make it easier to get out?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

JR03  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I would try the shower. Maybe and cranberry juice and ural could make it easier to get out?
    I'd try this. Ural should kick in pretty quick. What if you were to get in the bath with her, play some water pouring games, get her laughing and relaxed and it may just happen without her even realising.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post

I guess trying to get her to wee is something I'm going to have to keep trying at but are there any health issues with her pretty much not weeing for ~12 hours, closer to 24 hours if she goes all night without weeing (she never wakes up to go to the toilet through the night normally)?
    Yes, an over filled bladder gets stretched and this can do some temporary damage to the bladder muscles. Hopefully the advice above does the trick but if you have the same trouble still going tomorrow you might need some professional advice. If she complains of lower tummy (bladder) pain or back (kidney) pain then I would seek professional advice sooner. Good luck. X

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

JR03  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, if I can't get her to go in the morning (assuming she doesn't wake up before then) I'll take her to the GP to see if I need to head to the hospital to get it drained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    How is she this morning?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

JR03  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still delaying going, she has told me once she has breakfast she'll do a wee but this is the longest breakfast of her life. I'm about to get ready to take her to the GP as she's so stubborn and can hold her wee for a ridiculously long time when she's well, so when she's expecting pain I can imagine she could hold it for another 24 hours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default UTI in 3yo, refusing to go to the toilet

If you give her some ural, at least when she does go it shouldn't hurt. And then hopefully she won't be scared to go anymore.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 10-10-2016 at 08:07.