+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    To top if it off, my left side has a red patch on it, so it's possibly going to turn into mastitis too. Yay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I had good success with using a football hold with DD2. She would fuss (scream) on one side and couldn't feed properly at all.

Turned out my DD had hip displacia and needed brace. Anyway, part of the treatment for the hip displacia was seeing a paediatric physio. The physio noticed that DD had issues turning her head to one side and suggested I turn everything around to get her to turn her head to her bad side. eg I had some decals on the wall next to the change table, so placed DD on the opposite end so she turned the other way, hold her the other way in the bath, approach from the opposite direction etc.

If down the track you feel your DD's feeding issues are related to neck probs, the above may work for you.
    We saw a physio as well for ds2 and she gave all those tips too, plus a special hold that encouraged him to hold his head a certain way, I'll try to find it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh @rainbowroad I totally feel you! It sounds exactly like our start to breastfeeding. For me the pain was toe curling. All of what has been advised is what I would have told you.

For me, definitely nipple shields! I had them sitting in the cupboard the whole time and wondered why I hadn't got them out sooner! Just squeeze a few drops of milk into the end of the nipple shield so she smells the milk and gets a little taste to start sucking.

I used them for about 10 days on and off as I'd get grazes, they'd heal, and then I'd get new ones. But DD didn't have any confusion once coming off them. And once I came off them for good, I didn't graze again.

Definitely air your nipples out as much as possible, and rub your milk into the grazes. I also used marcalan (I think that's how it's spelt?) for extra relief.

Believe me - it WILL get better and those damn blues will pass and are totally NORMAL. You will be head over heels in love in a few days once you start feeling a little better. X x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have much to add apart from what the others have already said but look into getting laser treatment on your nipples at a women's physio. It will help the nipple cracks heal faster and only takes a couple of minutes. Congratulations on the new arrival

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    To top if it off, my left side has a red patch on it, so it's possibly going to turn into mastitis too. Yay.
    Oh hon I hope not straight to the dr tomorrow if redness is worse/pain/fever etc. keep getting the milk out I'm sure you know the drill. If you can manage dangle feeding (lay bub down and hover over them to suck the nipple upside down so they can literally suck it out) safely that was amazing any time I had a blockage X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm not even close to being a bfing expert, but I'm pretty versed in bfing problems lol I'm wondering if your left boob is more engorged therefore making the nipple flatten more, and the attachment harder for her. She may also be getting a faster flow. Bc she's struggling to drain the breast you are in a cycle of more engorgement, worse attachment, more soreness, less draining, more engorgement.

If it makes you feel better leftie always let me down Even with DS2 who bf really well he really wasn't a fan of leftie lol

Make sure you watch that red patch closely hun, that sounds like the beginnings of mastitis....

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks guys - I really appreciate your support. I knocked back 2 nurofen and 2 Panadol as recommended by my midwife if I suspected mastitis may be paying a visit and then braved lefty to feed and try and drain it... We had good success in a few different positions and my breast feels the least full its felt in a while. Hopefully I wake up feeling fine but will head to doctor if any sign of mastitis.

Before I fed I had been lying topless rubbing milk into my nipple and letting it dry out which I think really helped... So we will see if it was a coincidence or if I was about to turn a corner after writing this! Definitely hoping for the latter.

Thanks for everyone's advice and support, I know it will get better but it's good to hear others confirm that!

And here's the milk drunk cause of all the angst!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1476014959.304608.jpg

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (11-10-2016),binnielici  (11-10-2016),Carpe diem 2013  (10-10-2016),delirium  (09-10-2016),gingermillie  (09-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (09-10-2016),Its Me  (09-10-2016),JR03  (11-10-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (09-10-2016),Olive Oil  (10-10-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (09-10-2016),TandR  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How's it going now @rainbow road?
    Ps bub is squishy gorgeousness

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on your beautiful baby.

I agree with all the advice that you have been given and you may need to try a few things and see what works best for you. There is some advice on attachment in this article I thought it may be helpful to you https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...achment-breast .

If mastitis isn't a issue to help with the pain of attachment on your grazed side you could try feeding from the good side first than switching to the other side when she is not so ravenous. If it hurts when feeding slip your little finger in to break the suction than attach her again (the article gives advice how to do this).

I found that my babies were all different when it came to getting it with feeding and they all seem to prefer one side to the other. I think one side must flow quicker than the other. So the piggy babies liked the fast flow and got fussy and cranky when there was not a fast let down and the others were complete opposites getting cranky and choking from a fast let down.

Good luck with it all you know you can do this, you just have to help bub to learn to do it.