+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As pp's have suggested - try a shield plus hydrogel breast discs. We used shields for a couple of weeks as I had a huge oversupply & just had to wait for things to settle down.
    I used to hand express just a little before a feed, seemed to reduce the engorgement & enable my tiny little DD to latch a bit better.
    Best advice my LC gave me was to lean back in my feeding chair (or propped up in bed), put baby in the middle of my chest & just let her figure out what she wanted to do, plus I got to relax.
    You'll get there! The early days are so hard - I remember crying every day at 5pm for the first few weeks. Stupid hormones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Breastfeeding advice/support wanted

I've had this with both sons, they both had a hard time with my right side but fed fine on my left. Ds2 still sometimes hates my right. A few things help:

-As twink said, go see a peadiatric cranial osteo, she may be quite tight in her neck and jaw and that side hurts when she tries to open her mouth too much. Kind of like whiplash. If I recall, your birth was your pretty fast so it may have gotten tweaked coming out. Did she have ventouse?

-Your flow may be too fast (also an issue for me on my right), hand express a little so she doesn't get nailed with the let down.

-I find if ds2 is refusing that side he'll take it if we lie down, I think it helps with your flow.

-rugby hold also helps with flow and her opening her mouth.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 09-10-2016 at 17:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, have you check for tongue tie? Ds1 had it and although both sides were painful until we got it snipped the side he had trouble on was worse because of the tie, tightness in his neck and flow.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks HGL. I'm not keen to see a chiro at this stage anyway... Her birth was fast, no instruments used though. And no tongue or lip ties, they were checked for today.

For those who've used shields, how long did you use them for, and how did you go transitioning from them back to the breast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Everyone has already offered great advice. My DD2 is 6 months, I had the hardest time establishing breastfeeding with her and had so much pain. I recommend MultiMam compresses, they're a bit hard to find in Aus but they were the only thing that relieved the nipple pain.

Also for the engorgement try block feeding; I had a massive supply and it was adding to the pain, I saw a lactation consultant who recommend block feeding, it was a pain but I did it for about 2 weeks and it helped a lot.

Good luck, it can be so difficult in those early weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Thanks HGL. I'm not keen to see a chiro at this stage anyway... Her birth was fast, no instruments used though. And no tongue or lip ties, they were checked for today.

For those who've used shields, how long did you use them for, and how did you go transitioning from them back to the breast?
    I think an osteopath is more gentle than a chiro (although I've never used a chiro so can't compare). It actually doesn't even look like they are moving their fingers (or doing anything!) but both boys visibly relaxed after their sessions and started being able to turn their heads other ways, open their mouths wider, etc. I didn't realize how tense ds1 was and how hard it was to get him dressed until after he had his first session and his arms and shoulders automatically relaxed and he didn't keep them constantly tensed. It was like magic!

I tried using shields with ds1 and just found them really difficult for both of us to work out. Rubbing breast milk on the sores usually worked the best for me in terms of healing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And big hugs, it's really hard having issues when you're so tired and having your hormones crash, etc. It does definitely get easier but I know it's hard when you think you know what you're doing as you've successfully done it before and then issues pop up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post

I used shields for a few weeks but DS had a shallow latch (in hindsight it was a lip tie). I just stopped usimg it every 2nd feed and then one day just stopped.

By then his mouth was a bit bigger and he did not have any issues.

Be warned - shields can be messy. I used some Lanisoh to 'stick' it on. I just used warm soapy water to rinse it off too.

Thanks
    Reviews

I used shields with my DS due to poor latching with tongue tie. Once he was treated (at 11 days) I was able to stop using the left but had to keep using the right for about 6 months. DS had no issue when I stopped and it never affected my supply.

They do take a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had good success with using a football hold with DD2. She would fuss (scream) on one side and couldn't feed properly at all.

Turned out my DD had hip displacia and needed brace. Anyway, part of the treatment for the hip displacia was seeing a paediatric physio. The physio noticed that DD had issues turning her head to one side and suggested I turn everything around to get her to turn her head to her bad side. eg I had some decals on the wall next to the change table, so placed DD on the opposite end so she turned the other way, hold her the other way in the bath, approach from the opposite direction etc.

If down the track you feel your DD's feeding issues are related to neck probs, the above may work for you.