+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding advice/support wanted

Hi all,

Bub is 4.5 days old and she's been a great feeder thus far for the most part - she's only 30 grams off her birth weight already. We've got the right side sorted, good latch etc but the left is a bit of a disaster zone... It's hard to get her to latch properly, so our attempts to do so have left me with a grazed nipple and it absolutely kills now.

I know it will get better but just looking for some words of advice for those who've dealt with similar... I have a huge supply so am also trying to manage serious engorgement, so don't want to pump in addition to feeding as I don't need to open the flood gates further.

Never had any trouble with my son, when did other's start to get into a rhythm after initial feeding hiccups?

Baby blues hit today and so I'm feeling fairly sorry for myself and wondering what I've gotten myself into!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2 idea/thoughts. If it is one side could it be stiffness in neck/shoulder/back for her? If you are comfortable with a chiro/osteo it might be an idea to see one.

To help heal try a shield for a few days.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had exactly the same situation with my little girl. One side was great but the other we really struggled with and it end up grazed and really sore. What worked for me was;
    1) really focusing on making sure she latched properly on the side, even if it meant taking her off a few times.
    2) expressing a little milk onto the graze after every feed and letting it air dry.
    3) wearing a hydrogel disc on that side between feeds to help speed the healing along.
    4) getting a little sunshine directly on the nipple when possible.

From memory it took a couple of weeks before she got the hang of the trickier side. Sending huge hugs your way. Hang in there!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

kiwimum890 is online now It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.mamma-bee.com.au/haakaa-silicone-breast-pump

I have heard good things about these pumps (I know you don't have issues with supply but at least you can collect milk on that side (without the pain of a normal breast pump where it just sucks the nipple and causes more pain on the grazes) this suctions the breast instead so I am sure it will be more comfortable....

I found the hydrogel breast disks a life saver too...

Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great suggestions from PP's.

Could you try a football hold so she's latching onto the hard side in the same direction as the good side (not sure if that's making sense) but if it is stiffness it may work as she will be in a similar position to when she feeds on the good side. This also changes pressure on the areas that are getting grazed so you may feel some relief.

Best wishes!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (09-10-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding advice/support wanted

Everyone has pretty much said what I would have said.

So I just wanted offer huge hugs. I had issues with DS3 and my left side at first also. Baby blues hit and I was sure I had made the biggest mistake of my life! DS3 is 8 weeks now and feeding well both sides. He got the hang of my left side within a week. So hang in there it will get better.

Edit - oh and as for engorgement a couple of things -

Cabbage leaves in the freezer. Place one over your sore breast instant relief!

I found doing breast compressions in a warm shower let me express some milk for comfort worked really well. You're not stimulating the nipple and you can massage any lumps/hard spots to clear ducts as well.
    Last edited by binnielici; 09-10-2016 at 17:35.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks for your advice guys! I'm not really comfy with a chiro or osteo so I will avoid that if possible...

So I've been working on relatching until it's not painful but it's so hit and miss,

I'll try a nipple shield tomorrow if there's no improvement. I'm so scared of messing up feeding! It doesn't help having the engorgement as well because it just adds to the pain.

Will try a variety of positions too.

My friend just lent me a Haaka which i will try to use to catch what drips out when I'm feeding on the other side...

It's so frustrating because she is perfect on the other side... Perfect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice is similar to others - nipple shield for a few days to take the pressure off the nipple while damaged (I found medela the best) and hydrogel discs to help heal. They work amazingly fast and you can cool them in the fridge for extra relief!
    Have you thought about having a lactation consultant observe a feed to see if there is anything 'mechanical' that could be fixed?
    Personally nipple shields saved me completely (DD was prem and just could never latch) and I did every feed with them for 14 months so I think they're fantastic!
    Good luck with it, sounds like you're really doing a great job. And massive congratulations on the new addition

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    My advice is similar to others - nipple shield for a few days to take the pressure off the nipple while damaged (I found medela the best) and hydrogel discs to help heal. They work amazingly fast and you can cool them in the fridge for extra relief!
    Have you thought about having a lactation consultant observe a feed to see if there is anything 'mechanical' that could be fixed?
    Personally nipple shields saved me completely (DD was prem and just could never latch) and I did every feed with them for 14 months so I think they're fantastic!
    Good luck with it, sounds like you're really doing a great job. And massive congratulations on the new addition
    Luckily for me my best friend is a midwife and another friend of mine is an IBCLC and there doesn't appear to be any mechanical issues.

I think it hurts because of the graze and maybe I just need a day or two with a shield to heal it, then start from scratch on that side.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it helps a shield did nothing to stop the ravenous feeder that was DS. Just helped me to heal and helped him latch better.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post: