+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default So confused about conception!

Hi everyone! Prepare for the novel!

I just found out yesterday that I was pregnant! YAY! However, I have so many questions.

As you're reading, please keep in mind that my periods are so irregular. I cant even give a straight number. it always changes.

I've had a blood test today, will get results tomorrow.

1. Can you find out you are pregnant on a home pregnancy test just 9 days after?

2. How long does it take for ovulation to occur and how long does it take for the fertilised egg to attach to the lining of the wall?

3. what are your experiences with Clear blue digital weeks estimator tests? Mine came up with Pregnant 1-2. what does that mean? does it mean im 1-2 weeks pregnant?

4. the date of my last period ended on the 5th of September.

I really want to know if you can already be pregnant and show symptoms just 9 days after the unprotected sex.

PLEASE HELP! THANKSSSS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleM View Post
    3. what are your experiences with Clear blue digital weeks estimator tests? Mine came up with Pregnant 1-2. what does that mean? does it mean im 1-2 weeks pregnant?
    :
    what do the instructions that come with the test say?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BubbleM  (08-10-2016),TheGooch  (08-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Online it says 3-4 weeks pregnant but then people say you have to add two weeks... I don't understand why? If I add two weeks, I only got pregnant 2 weeks ago.?

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    since you're getting your blood test results tomorrow why don't you take this list of questions and ask your GP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!!

1. Can you find out you are pregnant on a home pregnancy test just 9 days after?

If you were ovulating at the time of unprotected sex, yes. Most sensitive home pregnancy tests return results from around 10dpo

2. How long does it take for ovulation to occur and how long does it take for the fertilised egg to attach to the lining of the wall?

Ovulation differs from person to person but the general rule of thumb in a 28 day cycle (with first day of period being day 1) is that ovulation is around day 14. Implantation generally happens 3-5 days after conception I believe.

Clear blue, I believe, read as the number of weeks since ovulation. If you see a doctor they will work off your last period date, and assume that ovulation happened on day 14, which always makes ovulation "2 weeks" when counting pregnancy weeks. This means the doc will add 2 weeks onto that reading so in medical terms you would be 3-4 weeks pregnant.

4. the date of my last period ended on the 5th of September.

The doc will ask the date your period started to count weeks into the pregnancy, but given your irregular cycle I would request a dating scan to get a more accurate due date calculation. Just bear in mind you may not see a heartbeat this early on which can be really unsettling so probably best to wait until roughly 7-8 weeks (another 4 weeks from now)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why do they add two weeks? when would I calculate my conception date then?

SO, a home pregnancy test CAN detect pregnancy 9 days after sex?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleM View Post
    Why do they add two weeks? when would I calculate my conception date then?

SO, a home pregnancy test CAN detect pregnancy 9 days after sex?
    I guess because it's always been counted in terms of cycle dates so CD1 (first day of period) is the beginning of the count, and the assumption is made that ovulation is CD14 (2 weeks).

To work out your conception date, (or due date I'm assuming you're wanting to work out?) I'd count the date of sex as being 2 weeks pregnant so 38 weeks from there would be the due date.

Hope that helps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If my expect ovulation date was the 11th of September, I can't get pregnant on the 29th of September?

My periods are so irregular... I was pregnant a few years ago.. I didn't get my period for about 3 months then I found out I was 3 weeks pregnant.

I am wanting a particular date to work out so that I don't have to wait longer haha. I really just want to know my conception date. I have read that it takes around x amount of days for the sperm to reach the egg then 6 or so days for the egg to attach to the lining of the walls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    what I mean by my first sentence, I mean, I can't still conceive on the 29th can I?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your periods are irregular, unless you are taking your temp to track your cycle, it is highly unlikely the predicted ovulation date is correct so it's more probable that you did ovulate around the 29th resulting in the conception.

Most period/ovulation apps will use the generic "day 14" as an ovulation prediction, regardless of cycle length.

ETA - that's why I would just count conception as 2 weeks, regardless of the actual date it was in your cycle
    Last edited by MayGal959; 08-10-2016 at 22:06.