+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dropping night feed

wondering how others tackled this. DS is 6 months and has been on solids since appx 5 1/2 months. So far he has slept through the night twice (not consecutive) and his night feeds have been varying in time from 3am to sometimes 6am. I wanted him to drop his night feeds on his own accord but now that he has slept through a couple of times and not woken for feeding till very late morning a few I am thinking of just stopping feeding him through the night and resettling instead. What have others done? Does his age seem too young to stop or right on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my ds is 7 months and still occasionally night feeds (he's now formula fed though, I stopped BF around 6 months). on the nights he wakes up and wants his bottle, we just give it to him. yes I know he can go through without it, but I'm not denying him of it just yet as I figure he might need it. they're still so little and so much is going on, growth spurts etc. just because they CAN sleep through doesn't mean they necessarily should every night. I figure if he's waking up hungry then he needs his bottle.

when ds wakes in the night our preferred method is this: let him grizzle a bit and see what happens. if the grizzles escalate/he hasn't gone back to sleep within 5-10 mins, we get him his bottle. we don't give it to him right away as there have been times he will resettle himself and just go back to sleep.

it's a bit of a fine line but I definitely think it's too early still to enforce any kind of parent led routine. if baby is hungry, feed him.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (08-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Breast or formula fed?
    My two formula fed babies stopped the night feeds at 7 months, still woke up but didn't need it to resettle. Very easy to stop the bottle. However my breast fed middle baby fed multiple times for almost 2 yrs!
    With my first bub I gradually reduced the amount in his bottle over a few nights. With my other bottle fed bub I just stopped, and resettled, she was fine. It's not necessarily too young at 6 months, just follow his cues, to see if he still still needs it. 😊

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't refuse a night feed until bub has been fully established on solids (3x per day including protein and carb) for 6 weeks. Once you hit that point if bub is waking through the night I would look at other factors (how bub falls asleep eg with dummies or other aids , timing of day naps and bedtime, room temp and bedding etc).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is still breastfed, I'll just keep doing the night feed till he eventually starts sleeping through on his own, the feeds are getting shorter and shorter anyway.
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdez View Post
    He is still breastfed, I'll just keep doing the night feed till he eventually starts sleeping through on his own, the feeds are getting shorter and shorter anyway.
    Thanks everyone!
    My DD stopped her overnight feed around 11 months. It just started getting later and later and when she started waking for it after 5am I would resettle without feeding as it was too close to wake up time for the day (7/7:30) and would then throw out her morning feed/breakfast. Luckily she accepted this very easily and hasn't had a night feed since. I understand it's not so easy for everyone though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's reassuring, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't interrupting him during the night. Thanks.