+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 15 month old not walking and dragging foot

Hi all I've not been worried to date as I know there's a wide variance in walking but DD at 15 months still doesn't look that close to standing independently or walking. She's been crawling for 6 months and started pulling herself up on furniture a good 5 months ago. She will happily cruise around holding onto things but won't let go and can't stand without pulling up/holding on.
    She has a push along walker and whenever she tries to use it I have noticed that her left foot drags along and turns in. Her other foot is fine.
    Would you be worried yet? She has a Paediatrician but doesn't have a check up for 3 months, I can ask him but wanted to know if I'm being over cautious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd see the Paediatrician sooner rather than later. My DD has problems with one of her feet turning in (it was very noticeable from birth) and although it was treated and fixed, the physio told me that it's harder to fix these problem as babies get older. My DSS had the same problem only his wasn't as noticeable and it didn't get picked up until he was 12 months old and it took a considerable amount of extra effort to correct his foot compared to DD's as she started treatment when she was 3 months old. The treatment consisted of braces and leg casts which are not so much of an issue for babies, but a PITA for toddlers as it prevents them from walking.

I don't want to be an alarmist but if there is an issue it's much better to get it fixed as soon as possible. I hope it's nothing and if it hasn't been picked up before it probably is but better to be safe than sorry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (08-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'd see the Paediatrician sooner rather than later. My DD has problems with one of her feet turning in (it was very noticeable from birth) and although it was treated and fixed, the physio told me that it's harder to fix these problem as babies get older. My DSS had the same problem only his wasn't as noticeable and it didn't get picked up until he was 12 months old and it took a considerable amount of extra effort to correct his foot compared to DD's as she started treatment when she was 3 months old. The treatment consisted of braces and leg casts which are not so much of an issue for babies, but a PITA for toddlers as it prevents them from walking.

I don't want to be an alarmist but if there is an issue it's much better to get it fixed as soon as possible. I hope it's nothing and if it hasn't been picked up before it probably is but better to be safe than sorry.
    All of this. I would go sooner rather than wait.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with going asap.

Although I will add I know you have both been sick quite a lot lately and that may have delayed the walking a bit too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok gosh thanks ok I'm not overreacting. What I'll do is take a video of her walking with the push walker and show the paed he is great as he gives his patients his mobile number so I can send him the video and he will see her really quickly.
    Thanks so much I really hope it's nothing, poor thing hasn't had a great run.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took a video sent to DH (interstate) and he said it looks bad so I've sent it to her paed. Will update when I hear back and hopefully it's nothing and she's still just developing weight bearing skills

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD2 was similar to this. She had trouble weight bearing and we saw a paed around 14 months. She had low tone in her right leg and it dragged a lot when pushing things she didn't walk until after 16months and is very clumsy now at nearly 21 months. The paed was good if nothing else just gave us some reassurance to wait it out and I'm glad we saw one for peace of mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My daughter was the same at that age. We see a paed regularly. She started standing and walking s few mi this later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is also 15 months and she does the same! Dr said it's normal and she will get there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard back from the paed he asked some questions and decided that he wants to see her this week. I'm not too worried I'm sure it's within normal development but better to be safe. Thanks for encouraging me

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-10-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (14-10-2016),twinklify  (08-10-2016)