+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I feel very stretched and drained.
    Lol. I came up with my username when I was working 4 days, definitely the best word to describe the juggle.

I could choose my day off so made sure it was playgroup day. That way I could still have a day where I really felt like I was doing the mum thing well and could keep mixing with my mummy friends too.

I never felt daycare guilt with DD but I do now I have DS as he just doesn't have her communication skills or the ability to wrap the carers around his little finger like she did. So it really depends on a few factors.

As for DH, I worked full time last year and he finally started doing a tiny bit more around the house. Now I'm 3 days we're back to him doing the bins, lawns and maybe the odd bath. He's bloody lucky he gives a good massage or he'd be in permanent strife!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Something else to consider - I work part time, 31 hours per week, and find that I am expected to do a full time work load in those hours. From what I can make out, it seems to be a reasonably common expectation.

I personally found that working 3 days per week gave me the best work-life balance.

Do what works for you though. Long term, 4 days per week would be better career wise, especially if your goal is to eventually be back full time when the kids are older.
    This is such a good point. I would seriously consider @A-Squared how you will negotiate a part-time workload that's appropriate. I think 4 days a week is so close to full time that you may end up running yourself ragged trying to get 5 days worth of work done in 4 days only you're not getting paid for it

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-10-2016),clbj  (08-10-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you do 7 days a fortnight? So 4 days one week and 3 days the next?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-10-2016),gingermillie  (07-10-2016),Sketch  (08-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD? Increasing work hours

I worked 4 days when first going back from mat leave and thought it was a good balance. 3 days and u would have got a bull**** role at work and my career would have stalled. 4 days allowed me to have a 'real' role at work, be a manager and still enjoy time with my kids/keep on top of the housework. My hubby was a big help - he pulled his finger out probably more than I did with the kids and housework. If he hadn't of helped it wouldn't have been manageable.

Now hubby and I are both full time at work and it's rough. Yes the house is a pigsty sometimes but most if the time it's not that bad. Having a routine and schedule helps. That being said having one of us go 4 days would probably be ideal - make things more comfortable in terms of housework/errands etc.

To be honest I wouldn't even bat an eyelid at my 2.5 year old being in daycare 4 days. He loves his carers, is infatuated with one in particular - all very cute.

Hope this helps.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-10-2016),AdornedWithCats  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Just realised I didn't answer your question. If I was in your shoes I would absolutely go 4 days... And tell my hubby to pull his finger out

That's just me though - my needs in terms of work outside the home maybe different from yours.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I worked 3 days a week in one company and it was horrible. I would turn up to work and my chair had been taken or my phone had been taken. Meetings were always scheduled on the two days I wasn't there. I left that company and went to another on 4 days a week and it's s much better - I only miss the one day and intend to be able to stay on top of things better. My day off I do all my medical appts and jobs I don't want kids around for so we can just chill on the weekends. If actually love to go full time but the practicalities of it I can't get my head around

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Something else to consider - I work part time, 31 hours per week, and find that I am expected to do a full time work load in those hours. From what I can make out, it seems to be a reasonably common expectation.

I personally found that working 3 days per week gave me the best work-life balance.

Do what works for you though. Long term, 4 days per week would be better career wise, especially if your goal is to eventually be back full time when the kids are older.
    I hadn't considered this, but I do actually hear this a lot. The 4 days isn't so much to keep my career alive, it's more about securing a new job if I am made redundant......

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Could you do 7 days a fortnight? So 4 days one week and 3 days the next?
    ..... So this is a fabulous idea! Best of both worlds, I would still put DS in CC for 3 days and have him with the grandparents alternate weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just realised I didn't answer your question. If I was in your shoes I would absolutely go 4 days... And tell my hubby to pull his finger out

That's just me though - my needs in terms of work outside the home maybe different from yours.
    This is the other issue, DH and I aren't communicating the best at the moment and I'm not sure I cab be bothered with the battle and if he slips back into his old ways I'm stuck with less time to do domestic chores all over again.

I've been so caught up in how DS will cope being away from me more that I've not realised there's a lot of other factors in my decision. So I'm more confused now, but only from information overload, which will clear once I've processed it all.

Thanks everyone who has posted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't increase days from 3 to 4, it'd drain me. I've been through this, after a while working 3 days a week, my body got used to of the routine.. the moment I increase from 3 to 4 work days, it made me feel tired all the time, my kids didn't like it, my parents didn't like it, and above all, myself didn't like it.

It's all about priorities, my priority would be my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews

How about 4 days and use the extra income to pay a cleaner to come in once a week? Let them deal with some of the draining household jobs. Career progress whilst taking some pressure off at home. Less arguments /resentment over housework. And it will help maintain the amount quality time with the littlies. You may even be better off?!

Can you do a trial period at 0.7 (4 and 3 days) or 0.8 (4 days) so if you don't get made redundant and you are finding it too much then you can at least return to 0.6 (3 days)?

I agree with the previous comments about 0.8 commonly ending up doing full time load for 80% of the pay, but at least you get flexibility to say "no, not coming in" for specific days when you need it. And as you suggested, it's important to think beyond short term and think about securing your place for medium-long term.

Don't forget the extra super. It all adds up. Time out of workforce and part time really eats into super contributions for us, and there's ways a chance we are going to need to fall back into that nest egg sooner or later. It was on a bubhub thread that someone wrote about benefits of returning to work after bub and talked about keeping current/employable, and adding to your super nest egg. When work-life balance feels too hard, I try and think about the benefits beyond the immediate present. It helps
    Last edited by clbj; 08-10-2016 at 01:54.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I went back to work, we hired a cleaner. It was an agreement we had always had. I didn't want to spend my days off cleaning, and neither did DH. It saves arguements and frees up precious time. It's so worth it. Especially if there is already strain on your marriage. You don't need to be adding extra stress unnecessarily.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-10-2016),VicPark  (08-10-2016)