+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 16 month old refusing bedtime!

My daughter has recently been refusing bedtime until anytime after 10pm!
    Generally she'll go down for a nap during the day (depending on her) between 10am-12pm and sleep for about 1.5-3 hours, then will go down for bedtime between 7-8pm.

Now that's all gone out the window!

No matter how many times we put her to bed, she'll jump right out and make a game of it, then cries when we put her back to bed.
    It's driving me crazy!

My partner thinks she may be ready to drop the nap altogether. !?
    Isn't she still too young for no naps? I'm not ready for her to give up naps yet, that's the only time I get a break and time to shower etc. haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of my kids had naps until 2 and a half but my other 2 kids both dropped the day sleep at 1 years old . Both my sons slept through the the night and went to bed around 7.30 but my daughter is 4 , has no day sleep and still won't go to be until around 9 no matter what we do . She also wakes up through the night and gets up early ! It's so frustrating. I don't think your doing anything wrong and if your child wants to sleep in the day I would make the most of that if its not a struggle to get them to sleep . You need your sanity ! One thing I know is that giving up the day sleep does nothing to get them to sleep at night . Well that's my experience . I may just have a one off situation though . Good luck ! Keep the day sleep for as long as you can ! You need your time . I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We went through a stage like that with DD at about 18 months. I freaked out thinking she was going to stop napping all together!
    Thankfully it was just a phase that lasted a few weeks then settled down. She's now 2yrs 3m & still naps for about 1.5hrs during the day.
    I just kept bedtime routine the same but started letting her read books in bed on her own for 10 min before I come in to turn out the light. After lights out I'll go in, give her a cuddle the first few times, after that I just say "bedtime now" and put her back in bed. I think on our worst nights I ended up going in about 15 times! Also sometimes it helped sitting rubbing her back until she got drowsy.
    I think at 16 months "most" children still need a day nap! Although that was about the age DD went from a late morning nap to a midday nap.
    I would say persist with your routine & hopefully it will pass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Put her back in the cot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, my partner managed to get our daughter to bed before 9pm tonight! She screamed and cried the whole time though, until eventually giving in.

I'm pretty sure the last set of teeth are coming in, she's been drooling and has the red rosy cheeks. And from what I've heard, these are the suckers that are the worst! ☹️