+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im finding the responses interesting, thanks everyone.

I often cop flack for working in the oil industry, ironically by people who own big cars and make no effort to reduce their usage of fossil fuels. I find it ironic 😂 A friend told me that I'd 'sold my soul to the devil'.

I've done things that I've felt a little uncomfortable about for the sake of my career but nothing that I'd say it outright unethical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Another one for me is banks. Not really the person at the branch but the industry itself. Making billions of dollars while still closing branches doesn't sit right with me

Thanks
    Reviews
    A number of my friends and family work in marketing for some of the more questionable 'ethical' companies such as Nestle etc. I have wondered if they struggle with this or not or whether like pp have said if they individually work ethically than that sits ok with them ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Unethical careers - spin off

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Sorry meant to quote not thank, DD jumped on me when I was typing

I think defence personnel train with the primary objective of defending and saving lives, not killing people.
    Going to other countries and shooting and bombing is part and parcel of the job. People know that if they join it is highly likely they will be deployed and have to kill people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Going to other countries and shooting and bombing is part and parcel of the job. People know that if they join it is highly likely they will be deployed and have to kill people.
    It's part and parcel of the job for a small portion of the people in the DF. It's not what most people do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im finding the responses interesting, thanks everyone.

I often cop flack for working in the oil industry, ironically by people who own big cars and make no effort to reduce their usage of fossil fuels. I find it ironic A friend told me that I'd 'sold my soul to the devil'.

I've done things that I've felt a little uncomfortable about for the sake of my career but nothing that I'd say it outright unethical.
    I work in oil industry too. Only people not using our products can judge. And the devil plays really well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could not work in the tobacco industry.

Strangely enough, I would rate anyone in photocopier sales as having a low moral compass as well. It seems to be a cut throat industry and anyone I have encountered makes used car salesmen look like angels.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a vet and apparently we're only in it for the money - I assume that means unethical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I'm a vet and apparently we're only in it for the money - I assume that means unethical.
    Huh? I've literally never heard anyone say that! I've heard comments about huge bills but I would never have questioned the motives to become a vet!! That's a new one. Ignore that rubbish @amyd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Unethical careers - spin off

It's part and parcel of the job for a small portion of the people in the DF. It's not what most people do.
    Of course there are other paths in the military but its primary purpose is to train people to defend Australia and fight in wars.

Even the army website describes the army as a "potent, versatile and modern fighting force"

ETA - And not to mention the fact that I believe the turning back of boats is unethical. Plus the way women are viewed and have been treated
    Last edited by BigRedV; 07-10-2016 at 18:45.